Does anyone know a secret into getting a teen to do chores around the house.

I have a 15 year son and a 12 year old daughter and it is a struggle to get them to do anything and if they do it, it is half way

countrygirl503

Asked by countrygirl503 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• maybe offer them an allowance??
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Grounding didn't work, etc for me. What did work was when it came time to have their band uniforms cleaned I only did it halfway once. Worked like a charm. They were only able to get it dried halfway and then it was full of wrinkles. The band director laid into them and told them that it was THEIR responsibility to have it cleaned and ready to go not mine. It got the point across more fully then anything I could say or do.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My kids have a list of chores, and they get soemthing for each things done! My 4 and 5 year old have small things like picking up their toys, manner, reading, etc. ... my 15 year old will have things like Monday clean his bathroom, Tuesday clean the hamster cages, etc.

My younger ones get coins for each one, that they can later add to their bank accounts, and teenager gets things like his cellphone etc
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Stand over them until they have done it to your satisfaction. Make it clear that until is IS done properly, there will be no going out, electronics, (including cell phones). Once you have made it clear what you define as done, they have no excuse for not completing it. Also, remind them that if they feel the need to whine about helping out around the house that THEY live in, you will feel free to do the same. Then show 'em what it's like to work along side someone who is whining and complaining the whole time.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I use to go into my son room every Friday and make a huge pile of his stuff in the middle of his room and when he came home from school he had to put it away. He did not like me being in his room so I would tell him pick or I will have inter your room. And make them do their own laundry.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I've learned it needs to start when they are young, When my daughters were young, they started helping with dinner, dishes etc, when they were preschool age. They actually liked helping and it made them feel proud! :-) Then it just became habit. They started doing their own laundry in JR High (or they would have no clean clothes), etc...
    What I did wrong IMO, is I didn't start doing this with my younger sons, and I regret it. It's been much harder to get them to follow through without having to be asked and reminded.
    JoyIsAnAttitude

Answer by JoyIsAnAttitude at 12:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I guess if its not cleaned up, they dont do anything. My kids aren't allowed to leave unless chores and homework are done..
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My boys have set chores and we negotiate when they are to be done. Our schedules are very hectic so I usually ask them - when are going to get the dishes done, when are you going to vacuum etc. They give me their schedules for the week and chose the day and/or time they plan to complete it. So if they say I have football camp from 9:30 to 8pm I won't be home until, so the dishes have to wait until Tuesday - I'm okay with it. Come Tuesday morning I remind them - hey you said you'd do this so I expect it done before I get home. It usually gets done, a gentle reminder seems to work. There are occassions when it does it get done and that's when I remind them that priveledges (like seeing friends or having friends over) are taken away. That definitely gets them in gear. There is much less fighting this way, and they are more apt to help me out I when I need to do something above their regular chores, if I just say please.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Give them a list of every chores they're expected to do that day and tell them that when they finish one chore on the list they are to come to you for you to inspect their work before they move on to the next one. If it is not up to par, tell them what they did wrong and explain to them the correct way to do it. Then they have no excuse later that they did not know how to do the task correctly. Continue the daily inspections of their work until you are confident they can do it correctly on their own. Then, if a task is not completed or is done half assed you can tell them that laziness gets them fifty cents off their allowance and a dollar off if the task is just not done. when they want to take a trip to the mall at the end of the week or buy a new video game they will find they have no money to get it with. This teaches them the value of a dollar and that you get out of life what you put into it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If mine won't do her chores she can't go anywhere to have fun like swimming, a movie, etc. We have had problems with her doing what she is suppose to do too and this seems to work well with her plus she doesn't get her allowance.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011