Why wont my almost 3 year old use the toilet?

My Daughter will be three in september, and we are also expecting in early October. We have been trying to get her potty trained for a while now, and no method seems to be working. By all accounts she is ready , in the fact that she knows when she has to go pee or poop. She doesn't like the feel of a wet or dirty diaper/pull up, and will try to do the clean up her self.

This week we decided to put her in underwear all day figuring that she would wet/dirty her pants a few times and realize the potty isn't so bad. We are asking her every 15 to 20 minutes if she has to go and she tells us no. When I try to get her to sit on the potty around the time i know she'll have to go she flat out refuses and puts up a huge fight.

This is Day 3 of no diaper/pull up and still no use of the potty. When we ask her where she is supposed to potty/poop she tells us in the toilet, yet she wont use it.

We've tried the reward system, we've told her she could pick out a new toy at the store, etc....nothing seems to change her mind.

What worked for you?

LeesesMom

Asked by LeesesMom at 11:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have heard doctors say that sometimes it feels like they r going to fall into the toilet when they go poop in it. She is probably scared.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I guess she could be scared,but I don't think that's it, she has her little training toilet, and the seat the sits on the big toilet, In the past she has used both with out incident.
    LeesesMom

Comment by LeesesMom (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My daughter just turned 3 today and she still hasn't used the toilet, but she'll use the potty to go. We even have the toilet seat for toddlers so she won't fall in the toilet and I'm trying to get her to sit on that.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my daughter is also 3 amost 4 now we have bought every potty out their an have had her trained a couple time an she goes back she is now trianed again but we r worried that with the new baby comening she will go back but we have potty books an we also tell her that shell be starting school an cant got to school unless shes out of diappers an the other kids will laugh at her if they now. so she has mistakes everyonce in a while but other then that am not sure they do it when they r ready dont presure thwm ask an if they say no i wouldnt make her it will only make her not want to go. we also have my little bro who is 3 potty trainning too so its more like a compatition now between them. so that helps if they have someone they r close with to be going potty too. hope this helps
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 9:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011