Who Cooked The Last Supper?

A book, titled "Who Cooked the Last Supper, The Women's History of the World." Author Rosalind Miles.

"Starting with women in pre-history, the author looks beyond the myth of 'Man the Hunter' to reveal women's central role in the survival and evolution of the human race. She follows their progress from the days when God was a woman through to the triumphs of the Amazons and Assyrian war queens: she looks at the rise of organised religion and the growing oppression of women: she charts the long slow struggle for women's rights culminating in the twentieth-century women's movements: and finally she presents a vision of women breaking free."

Would you read this book? Why or why not?

In what ways do you think our culture/society would be different today, if god were never thought to be male?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm all about women's empowerment, but I started this book a few years ago and couldn't finish. The author was a smidge angry for me and bent over backwards to make men look a bit foolish and short sighted.
    I found the The Handmaid's Tale and The Mists of Avalon (works of fiction) much more encouraging and empowering
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• sounds right up my alley! my minor area of study for my grad work is women's history, so im sure id enjoy this!

i think society would never have denied women basic rights if God had been seen as a gender-less deity instead of a proponent of the male ego. however, i think many of older society's roles for women would have stayed the same, such as child-rearing, keepers of the home, and other more submissive roles since women as a gender are usually more calm & sympathetic than men. even if you look outside the Abrahamic male God cultures, women held these roles. it just wouldnt have been a negative thing and the women that didnt fit those roles wouldnt have been forced to hold them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wise words, okmanders. I agree. It's not that our roles would have been much different in the "old days", but the significance of those roles may have been. If our roles would have been given the proper perspective, we would not have been regarded as property and have had to fight for the rights that should have been apparently ours from the beginning. Had the deities been gender-less, there would not have been such a hierarchy of roles.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh yes!! The Handmaid's Tale" was excellent!
    My local Library doesn't have it either. Maybe I will try Barnes and Nobles.....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'm a feminist and am always leery of philosophies that consistently present women as those responsible for man's issues.

I wasn't referring to this at all ... in the Bible we get a man's perspective of sin ... sin through the eyes of a man ... I'm referring to seeing the ability to see sin through the eyes of women.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• One of my favorite lines is "the man may be the head, but the woman is the neck and can turn the head in any direction she wants"- I feel like women have always been the behind the scenes leaders-

I will check into the book-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I did.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous ... you DID NOT! I did!!! *grin*

Seriously ... I might read it, I don't know. Not my usual taste in reading materials.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would read it, I find things like that interesting.

Crjs4

Answer by Crjs4 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Martha Stewart? LOL.
    That looks like a really good book and I am going to look for it at my local Library!!! THANKS!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011