Agree or Disagree?

"The essence of wisdom is to remain suspicious of what you want to be true." -Jon K. Hart

Please explain why you either agree, or disagree. Thanks!

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "I disagree-- To be suspicious doesn't raise wisdom.. I think it actually raises questions really. "

Which is the point.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Disagree. Suspicion is not positive or healthy. I'm down with exploration and questioning though
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Agree. Confirmation bias exists; you have to try to be as skeptical of things that sound right to you as you are of things that sound wrong.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Interesting quote. I suppose some would interpret his use of the word "suspicious" in the paranoid sense. In this case, however, I interpret it to mean "cautious", "skeptical" or "circumspect". With those definitions or synonyms of "suspicious", I absolutely agree. Finding information that only supports what we want to believe makes it easy for us to be ignorant of reality. We need our beliefs to be challenged if we are to acquire any wisdom, and if we ignore facts because they don't coincide with what we want to believe, we definitely sell ourselves short.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I don't know if I'd use the word suspicious, but I agree, I think people should question their beliefs. This goes for those who believe in an afterlife and those who don't. It's through questioning that we grow.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I suppose you are right ObbyDobbie.. =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• JS said it best for me. I don't see the word suspicious being used to mean paranoid in this case but rather cautious or skeptical in which case the point IS to question so that you may learn more. In this context I agree with the quote.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Agree. I think to blind yourself to make what you want true is unhealthy.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 12:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• beautiful
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I disagree-- To be suspicious doesn't raise wisdom.. I think it actually raises questions really.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2011