IBS safe foods?

We found out that my son has IBS. He is 4 years old, and I can't just feed him chicken, apples, carrots and water from now on. I am desperate for some suggestions on what I can let him eat. The doctor prescribed an antispasmodic, but his stomache still has issues with lots of food. Can anyone please help me with foods that are ok for him?? All that I can find when I try to google it is to stay away from fried foods, spicy foods, red meat, and milk. I already know that, but I can't find a list of safe foods.

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 12:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• What about just a bland diet? Mashed potatoes, macaroni or just anything low in fiber, fat and protein? But, I'm not so sure that's totally healthy. The lack of water definitely sends up flags for me. I thought water was a staple that we all needed????
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• He gets as much water as he wants, and some lemonade mix at lunch, but I am scared that too much sugar is not good. I have read that milk, soda, juice, and sugar free drinks are bad. My son is not choosy, but he will never be happy with just potatoes. I don't know what kind of meats, vegetables, fruits, snacks, grains, etc. are good.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

•  

try giving him probiotics...it saved my life from IBS...i can eat whatever i want as long as i am taking them.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/66421-probiotics-ibs/

Here is more info about it. Seriously, it really....really helps...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Samurai_chica: I give him plain joghurt that we make ourselves so we don't the processed stuff, and he has it with oatmeal at night. Do you know anything else I can mix with it?
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• can not eat fried foods. Can have chicken or fish but bake instead of fried, latosote milk is what I drink, I am on a low fat diet and can eat ground turkey or chicken instead of hamburger. fruits are good for him, I was told to limit things with seed like nuts, blackberrys, popcorn. try your doctor for list of safe foods to eat. A dietation might be able to help as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I just found on ehow health a list of safe foods like apples, dark leafy greens, citrus fruits, carrots, peppermint gum or candy, ginger cookies, can follow a low fat diet and also foods high in fiber is good for them to eat as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• momindiana: Thank you so much!
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011