What were your signs of labor? :[

I am 40+ weeks and miserable. I am in labor but it isnt moving along quick enough, my midwife has scraped my membranes twice, I am 2cm dilated, and have been having contractions just they arent always consistent. I have done the castor oil drink twice.(The first time I took a bath, calming my muscles, and stopped the contractions before they were set in full labor motion. Bright idea right?) I am in the process of the effects of round 2 of the drink. The first time it took about 17 hours to give me unbearable contractions, and I am only about 13 1/2 hours into it now. Im hoping that Im curled up in pain by 6pm tonight. However, I was wondering what anyone's signs of progressing labor was. My nipples are getting rock hard, hurting like hell, and leaking more than normal. Im not sure if this is just normal to happen at this far along, or if it is a sign of labor progressing. And my hips are hurting me as well. I dont know, I just need the pregnancy to be over, the last weeks are hell, let alone to go over due. I just need some advise, and some stories to read from you fellow Mommas to help me keep my mind straight.

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 12:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I took the castor oil, i went into labor the next evening. I regret it. I honestly think thats why i had to have a c section. but i kept feeling like i had to go pee and i kept going and i wasnt peeing..then my water broke and a hug gush came out. i also were having contractions but not painful.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 12:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I pooped all day long. That was my sign with the contractions.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• ADVICE> anyway, yes,I was overdue with my third and just suffered but he arrived when he was ready. For the last month or so, he was so heavy and low in my pelvis that it was hard to walk. I didn't believe in inducing ad my doctors didn't either so I just waited. And waited, LOL. But it was worth it. He was a healthy 8 pound baby who was ready and willing to breastfeed immediatey and slept well. Its not easy, I know. Be patient and it will all be fine. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• ~*Giggles*~... real labor is known when it hits... you can't sit, can't stand, can't lay... nothing you do is possible when contractions hit... hahaha

I've had "pre-labor" with all three and when the real thing hit and it was time, I was in so much pain I couldn't form words... don't know how other women curse let alone string a sentence! Hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Sharhulk- Thats what Im going through. The contractions were a lot of pressure last night, but not painful. And today they arent painful at all. The most pain I feel is in my lower back and when I feel him shoving his head down there.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• potential side effects of Castor oil...dehydration (from loose stools and/or vomiting), fetal distress and meconium in the baby... did your midwife suggest this?? If they did they really NEED to be monitoring you closer - if not call and ask what they think!! all the contractions in the world aren't going to help if you are only 2cm dilated!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes, my miwife suggested it, both times. And Im sure she isnt going to suggest something that would harm me or my baby. I am not looking for a lecture on castor oil, I got that enough already before. I just want to know other people's experiences.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think that you want it to go natural as possible. I am 36 weeks pregnant and I am ready also but I know nothing will help if your body isnt ready. So if you start getting contractions maybe start walking the hall to get them moving if they stop then just go on with what you would normally do. I am planning on doing this but I would strongly advise to not keep doing the castor oil all it really does is dehydrate your body. So if you keep taking it you could really put you and your babies health at risk.
    sweetpea_mama

Answer by sweetpea_mama at 12:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh---My only sign of labor was a really bad backache....I had back labor with just a few hard contractions until shortly before delivery. He was facing the wrong way, the crown was not presenting,and it was tough. But with a little help from the Doctor, he eased him out and it was fine. I think you will be okay without the Castor Oil and all the home remedies ....just be patient!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• How much castor oil did u take? I just took a tablespoon i think not sure.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 1:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011