Why are all these people so negative about the holidays???? Maybe Harsh...but needs to be said.

I dont care if you dont have money to buy your kids gifts... spend time with them...have a big family night...teach them something new...teach them how to paint... teach them how to sing... play hide and seek with the whole family...why does everyone these days think x-mas is about gifts??? The 3 wisemen came and gave jesus 3 gifts when he was born ONE TIME!!! And look what he did for us!!! Why cant people see that spending time with eachother, faith, and love is all that really matters. Making others feel loved is better than any gift could ever be. Why be depressed? Why be stressed? If nothing else, your alive arent you???? I'm not ranting...I just cant see why people cant get over themselves sometimes and just LIVE * LAUGH * LOVE

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 7:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Holidays

• This is the best "question" on here i have ever seen. Its so true what you said. And I think the same. Why be so depressed when you cant afford gifts, thats not what christmas is about.

Im so excited about having my parents and grandparents over for christmas eve. im so happy that we all can spend time together. and if we couldnt afford gifts, then nobody would be sad or mad.

Thanks for saying that. Its really important that people understand what christmas is about.

Merry christmas :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have it pretty easy. No stress, I bought my son his one solstice gift and we are making cookies for everyone else. The nicest part is that I am spending time with my son while we do our baking.

Happy Holidays!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 8:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Great Question! I think Christmas has become so commericalized. Yes, my kids are getting presents. But I make sure we donate a toy or two. Whatever I can afford. Today we were supposed to visit my Grandpa. Due to the weather we were not able to go. My kids and nieces were upset they could not go. They were concerned that their Papa would be so disappointed. It made me feel good that their 1st concern was their Papa and of course 2nd was not getting a present.
    lisa-momof2

Answer by lisa-momof2 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I love these answers so far... its great to see that people are not ALL about money and gifts. I just went to my husbands grandparents x-mas party last night and I heard his grandfather make them comment that if they werent handing out money no one would have showed up! I was so upset by this... but it was so true! No one stayed for more than 1 hour... they all got cards with money in them from the grandparents and left. We stayed for 6 hours with our 2 month old and had a blast! And at the end of the night I took the money out of the card and I hid the money that they had given us in their microwave :) We dont need it, and I know it wasnt cheap giving 12 grandkids/great grandkids all the money that they did.
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 8:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It really drives me crazy that Christmas is a time for presents. I don't need a holiday to see my family and buy presents. I'll do that whenever I want, not for a specific day (maybe Bday). And I'm not going to make a special trip to see long distance family because of a holiday.. I can pick any weekend of the year to see them.

I go to the thrift stores for my xmas shopping, and am not ashamed of it. I see all these ridicules questions asking how are they going to afford presents... but who f-ing cares, just enjoy the time. There are lots of things to do that don't involve money.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We didn't have much money when our children were little and we often gave them toys I'd picked up second hand at yard sales. I cleaned them up and fixed them up, and the children were very happy. We didn't push the Santa or present idea, but we did take them to the family service on Christmas eve at the church, and we sang Christmas Carols and decorated the house together and made our own traditions.

Answer by Bmat at 9:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• 3 wisemen???? I didn't know the Bible gave a number
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Is that really the point here???? NO. I knew someone would be pms-ing today :)
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 9:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I'm so negative about the holidays for the opposite reason. I HATE the holidays because first off I have to go to all of these people's house or they get pissed at you if you don't want to go. I just want to stay home! Second everyone wants gifts, but how many times is it that you go all out on these gifts to find that no one cares about you? They just want a present! I told my DH I want Christmas at our house from now on and nowhere else BUT it probally won't happen. His mom is a big problem and she tries her darndest to turn him against me. When she gets him alone she will call him whipped and say things like "You need to quit letting her control you." and she will say it in front of his brothers so he will feel less of a man, she does this as a malipulative tactic on him so he wil "macho" up and go against me and do things her way to avoid getting made fun of. AHH!!! He knows i'm not controlling but he falls for this!
    Anonymous

• I agree. My moms house got robbed a few days ago and she's all upset about the presents she got for her grandkids. I'm like MOM! WHO CARES? You were not there when it happened and you are still alive! You will have a wonderful holiday because you will be surrounded by the people who love you, your husband, kids and grandkids! Who cares about presents!

We didn't have too much to spend this yr...but I think ppl have totally have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. but then again...I guess it means different things for different people.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008