Fat Cat

What is the best diet food to give a cat that is obese?

syida

Asked by syida at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Just feed him less. If you free feed your cat (just keep the bowl filled) stop doing that and put it on a schedule. Call you vet and ask what amount to feed your cat twice daily. You do not have to really "change" what he is eating.
    I had to put my tubby kitty on a diet. I just stopped keeping her bowl filled 24/7. She gets food in the morning and at dinner. It's still the same food that she was eating before and she is now the appropriate weight.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No particular food, just less food.

Answer by older at 1:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Science Diet light is good. So is NutroMax light.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If you need to there are diet foods but you should try just cutting back the amount you feed. If you free feed then try feeding twice a day. I know that getting the weight off a cat can be a challenge. I am dealing with this myself and in my case it is extremely important that she gets the weight off because she she has degenerative bone disease in her spine.    My cat is not happy with her diet because she loves to eat and will eat anything. But she is doing well so far.  But I have her on regular food cut back. Don't go by what the bag tells you to feed. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Cut back on feedings, and give them indoor food, because it's lower in calories. Indoor cats tend to be less active than outdoor cats.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thanks for all the answers. i will definitly cut back on her feeding.
    syida

Comment by syida (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i would recommend putting your cat on the r/d diet (get i at ur vet office)
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• our vet recommended that we change our cats diet and eating habits. we feed them twice a day but only a cup each time and when they walk away from the dish we put it up where they cannot get to it till later because if the dish is down where they can get to it they will go back and gorge.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2011