I am ebf my twins who just turned one a few days ago. I want to know about adding solids now and am not quite sure how to begin. My son will not even look at food. I need some advise on how to begin giving solid food to the twins. Im not trying to ween I just want to give them a little food. I also want to know how long can i just give them breast milk? I know one year was fine but what about now that they re one years old? Please help......

How do I begin adding solids to they re diet without weening

Suned38

Asked by Suned38 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Great job!! I think a year is about when you want to start solids if you elected not to do it sooner. Waiting a year if great though! You could start with avacado(that has a lot of good fats in it) or banana, many cultures use that as a first food. I have the book Super Baby FOods by Ruth Yaron and it's great from baby food recipes.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Honestly, I didn't realize you could exclusively breast feed to age one. At some point they don't get enough iron from breast milk alone. I'm curious to the answer for this as well.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• you are doing great! go to kellymom.com and type in starting solids, also look up extended breastfeeding. I nursed my oldest till 18mo, my 2nd child till 2 1/2yrs. The W.H.O. recomends nursing till at least 2yrs. My oldest I started on solids at 6mo, my 2nd at 4mo. no weanning involved. Think about breastmilk this way. It is WHOLE milk. prefectly suited for that 2nd yr
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• congrat. on the BF. I highly highly encourage you to create your own solid foods, and stay away from the canned baby foods. Start with a mushy consistency, even if they have their teeth. Steam and mash almost any veggie you can get your hands on, and try them first (since fruit is very sweet and appealing, and it can be hard to get veggies going if fruit it first.). Encourage them to use utensils and fingers while eating. They are definitely ready for people food, but you just have to introduce it like they are still little babies, since it's their first solids feeding.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Awesome job mamma....a year EBF and twins! I am envious! Keep the solids thin to begin with to let them get used to the consistancy.
    For the first poster...yes you can exclusivley breastfeed for a year.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i couldnt breast feed so my son was bottle fed, well still is, but i started him on baby food when he was 3 1/2 months old, he loves anything you give him. so i dont honestly know what to tell you other then good luck, and google starting solids and see if you can find anything. good luck tho
    Anonymous

• have you talked to your doctor? I am suprised your doc didn't tell you to at least add baby cereal. They have teeth they should be having solids now.
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:53, you have no idea what you're talking about. Teeth are not an indicator of readiness for solid food. Some children are BORN with teeth. Breastmilk is sufficient nutrition for the first year of life.

To the OP - with my kids, I never fed jarred foods, nor did I spoon feed them. I'd sit them down in their high chairs (naked except for a diaper) and set some pieces of soft fruit (banana, avocado, peaches, etc) and let them figure it out. It didn't take long before they became pros. I don't think you should have a hard time getting them to eat. Good job Mama! Exclusively breastfeeding to a year is a wonderful thing, doing it with twins is absolutely AMAZING.
    Anonymous

• My son was eating cereal at 2 months started eating the food we eat at 6 months. The doc said that he was doing great and growing like he should. As far as breast feeding i think that 6 months is long enough. They get all of their nutrients from the formula. Everyone i've talked to says that at 1 year they should be drinking Whole milk.
    Anonymous

• I found this from the LLL site

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

I know WIC had told me there wasn't enough iron in breast milk for babies older than 6 months. I'm sure you can exclusively breast feed for a year, but I don't know that's exclusive bf is recommended due to nutritional requirements.
    Anonymous