Can Dr.'s pre-determine how tall your child will be?

I have a friend who says her Pediatrician told her, that her 3 year old DD will be 5'10 - 6' tall when she is fully grown. Which surprised me since both parents aren't tall, in fact they are on the shorter side.

I have never had a Dr. tell me how tall my child will be. Do they really do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• YES... if they stay on track with the growth chart!!! My eldest son will be 16 soon, is 6feet tall now and still growing... doctor told me he'd be 6feet 2 inches if he stays on the same growth pattern... he did

My middle son will be about the same height, and our youngest is due to be short
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Sometimes they can "guesstimate" based on the curve a child is growing on - like if the child is consistently growing on the 40%, then they guess that the child will be at 40% of an average adult height. It's just a guess since all kids grow at different rates, but sometimes they do.

Answer by missanc at 1:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• They told me that by doubling his height at 2, and adding an inch my son would be around 5' 5". They were way off, he is already 5' 9".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Boys hit half their adult height at 2, girls at 2 1/2. It's not 100% accurate, but has been fairly close in my husband's family.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my Dr.'s growing up always said i would be tall, they never said exactly HOW tall though. Well...i ended up being only 5'1". I was taller than anyone in my school until 6th grade, i just stopped growing & everyone else grew way past me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wow!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My sons ped said my son would most likely be 6'8" to 6'10" tall. My son is only 8 and is 5'6" tall. So just two inches shorter than me.lol I have to shoo the teen girls away from my very handsome little boy. Kids think he was held back but he actually skipped a grade so he is a year to two years younger than most in his classes. We are tall so not a shocker he is tall. His teacher last year was great and shared stories about very tall people the kids admired and he was not made fun of too much.
    Anonymous

• They can kind of make a guess based on the kid's height, how they are growing and how tall their parents and grandparents are. Our pediatrician told us not to expect our oldest to get past 5'2"-5'3". She was 9 1/2 and only 4' tall. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 5'10" but our dd has always been short and doesn't grow much. She turns 11 today and is only 4'3". I'm not sure she'll even make 5' any more.
    My son, on the other hand, is suspected to hit at least 6' based on his height now (he's 9 1/2 and 4'8") and the fact that my husband's family is all tall (his dad was over 6', his nephew is 6'4", the other ones are destined to be over 6').
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011