Moving with a child Tips

We are moving in a Month, we will be staying with my mom until we hear if the bank approves our offer on a short sale, ugh.. anyway, we are trying to include our son as much as possible but being 3-1/2,. I know he doesn't really "get it" because he asks about bringing this sticker, or this toy or do I still get to go to my daycare in the new house etc.. I always tell him the same thing, We get to bring ALL our things from this house and they will be in a new house but we might have to stay with MA (grandma ) for a little while.. Its confusing to me with not having an actual place to live officially, how do I make it easier on him?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure about explaining it before it happens, but you might try showing him how it works through play. You could draw some houses and streets on a peice of poster board or a box and cut out people and things to represent your family. Pretend to move from one house to another house and take all the "stuff" to the new house. You might tell him you'll be staying at grandma's until your new house is ready.

Make sure his "special stuff" is easy to get to so he'll feel comfortable at grandma's house. Then, when you move to the new house set up his room first so he'll have some time to get used to it before bedtime. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• have something he really wants with him might help. When you get your new house he will see everything from your old place. When get your new place have him help with his new room, etc.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Have him help pack. Get some boxes and pack up everything but his most prized possessions. Line the boxes up in his room but keep the one with the special stuff open until moving day. I'd focus on just moving to gramma's first. Don't confuse him by adding a 2nd unknown future move.
    We've moved several times with the kids. The first big one was 500 miles with a 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and almost 5yo (all by ourselves, no movers). The last one was last summer and that was 2000+ miles. The kids were 10, 8 1/2, 8 1/2, 4 and 3 weeks and, again, we did it ourselves. We haven't had any issues with the kids adjusting. At that age they took it in stride and it was all a big adventure. The last move we sold as an adventure with the cross-country drive we had to do.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• We moved when my son was 2 1/2. It really wasn't a big deal to him. All the things and people he loved moved with him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011