Should I be concerned my 2 year old boy wont talk and screams to the point of throwing up at bath time.

Lomasre

Asked by Lomasre at 1:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would ask the doctor about it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would call early intervention in your area and get a free developmental evaluation. At 2, he should have at least a few words. If there is a delay, they can get started on free or very low cost speech therapy to help him catch up.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You might talk to his doctor about that. That doesn't sound like normal development for a 2 year old. Some kids are afraid of water, but that seems extreme. He should at least be talking SOME by now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wont talk at ALL? Yes! Screams at bathtime, Not uncommon
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Speak with the doctor... my youngest last school year started with a speech therapist... 2 is young enough for state program to fix it, otherwise you have to go through school districts to fix it... why my medical insurance doesn't do it still frustrates and boogles me!

But, the doctor will first have a hearing test done (they measure the echo back on 2 of the 5 tests), to rule that out first... than reffer to speech therapy
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am a mom of 4 kiddos, all 3 of my boys have Autism....call your Doctor sounds like he could be also.
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my son has high functioning autism and sensory processing disorder. he was/is still like that about the bath. when he started talking it was complete sentences. make a pedi appointment and ask to see a developmental pedi. early intervention where I live just delayed my son getting help. the develpmental pedi was the best.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 2:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• look up sensory processing disorder and see if he has any of the signs..
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 2:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son didn't start talking until he was 2. He was about to being speech therapy when he suddenly began conversing in complete sentences one day - yes, in one day! There is nothing wrong with my son, actually he was determined to be gifted a couple years ago. When he was 2, bathtime was a nightmare. He would scream like someone was trying to kill him. I was worried that the neighbors would call the police, thats how outrageous it would get. Turned out, he was scared of water getting onto his eyes. I don't know why, there were no incidents involving water. I ended up having to bathe him while he wore goggles. He also sported water wings and a snorkle on occasion. Yes, it was strange; it went on that way for about a year. He outgrew it. By age 5 he was into showers. My boy is 8 years old, and a great kid. Kids go through phases like that. Its always a good idea to talk to your doctor, but I think it sounds pretty normal.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 2:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Call you doctor and ask them to do a development assessment on your son. You can also go online and do an M-CHAT evaluation and bring it to your doctors appointment. Also try getting an evaluation done by your states early intervention program. My son is 2 and had words and lost them we have been through the assessments at many places. He has some words back through the therapy. While you are waiting for evaluations work on eye contact- hold the things he wants up to your nose name them and when he makes eye contact give them to him. Also work on pointing- physical hand over hand with books or flash cards. MAke yourself animated so he wants to communicate with you. Good luck!
    ThomasMomKC

Answer by ThomasMomKC at 12:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2011