My son got offended...what should I say to him?

He gains a lot of weight during summer vacation.So today I asked him did you eat anything? He said no and I said good. He flipped, what should I say so he calms down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• First, that was mean :( Don't put down your kids ever, and this just reinforced terrible eating habits.

Second, get the family involved in getting healthy. If he is overweight, chances are, your whole family is not eating well or exercising like they should. Go for walks as a family every night after dinner and shop smart. Snacks are fresh fruit and veggies, dinners focus on vegetables and grains, meats are lean. It's pretty easy to put together a healthy menu for a week and then buy the things you need for it. And it saves money over just buying stuff willy-nilly.

Start by apologizing and go from there. Make a whole-family change for better health!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You should apologize.

Losing weight isn't about not eating at all.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Say you're sorry, maybe? Ouch. :(
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 2:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Sounds like you should appologize, that was pretty rude. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It's not healthy for him to not eat anything. If your concerned about his weight then make sure that you have healthy foods and snacks available in theh ouse. He needs to eat, though. Saying "good" when he said he hasn't eaten anything today is really enforcing poor food habits. You need to apologize and you definitely need to re-evaluate how you're trying to keep him healthy.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 2:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• First- even if your son is overweight and eats when bored- you shouldn't say "good" when your child hasn't eaten anything. Nor should your question be "Have you eaten" it should more likely be "What did you eat?" this way you can be proactive and cook a healthier dinner to help make up for what junk may have been eaten.

Second- and to answer your question, you should simply talk to him and tell him that you are sorry. Explain your concern for his health and that it is because you love him that you are concerned. That your quick "good" response was thoughtless and a knee jerk reaction that shouldn't have happened. Tell him that you want to work with him so that when he goes back to school he doesn't have to work as hard to get his weight back down.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• you can always just tell him that your just worried about him
    hopeful_mommy_

Answer by hopeful_mommy_ at 2:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You got to hurry up and correct this. Kids will definitely take offense to things like this. My mother told me I was fat when I was 13 or 14 and I stop eating for a week. Let him know you just want him to be healthy.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would apologize and tell him you are worried about his weight, get him into sports.

Answer by older at 2:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011