3 month old spitting up.. DR won't do anything!

I posted a question a few days ago about my 3 month old son spitting up ALL the time. I called his DR to see if we could just try some acid reflux medicine and she said no, and to just keep trying different formulas. I don't want to keep trying formulas, because I know it can mess with his delicate stomach. He spits up every feeding and between feedings. I tried to lower how many ounces he's eating,burping him more, sitting him up for 45 minutes after feedings, added rice to his bottles (recommended by his Dr) and he still spits it all up. He's had this problem since he was born. I know some babies just spit up but I DO NOT think this is just a case of him being a "spitter" he spits up ALOT of the milk, his mouth looks like a faucet, it just keeps coming and never stops. The spit up is chunky and he is sometimes in pain. AND he has constant hiccups and a cough. Which seems to make it worse. All of this points to a mild case of Acid Reflux. There has to be something out there to help my baby boy. Or is the DR right? He will outgrow it? It just doesn't seem normal for him to spitting up this much all the time.

I don't breastfeed because I was put on Lexapro for a short time after delivery. I've tried lowering the ounces he takes and feed him more frequently, still doesn't help. I have tried Enfamil Lipil, Enfamil prosebee, Enfamil Gentle ease, Enfamil A.R., Enfamil Nutrimagin, and Similac brands. His DR doesn't seem to be concerned and doesn't try to explain to me why he's doing this. I'm just afraid there is an underlying problem that is causing this. Any insight/advice/experiences would be appreciated!

lucomommy

Asked by lucomommy at 2:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get a new Dr. / 2nd opinion
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Lexapro *is* safe while nursing, so if you want to try to nurse you can.

Otherwise I'd find another doc immediately. And ask about pyloric stenosis.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'd find another doc for a second opinion. When my son was an infant, he had projectile vomiting, constant abdominal pain, refusal to nurse, wasn't gaining or growing, etc. and his pediatrician kept blowing me off, so I found a new pediatrician who did do testing and a diagnosis was made. The first pediatrician, the one I fired, I found out later that he didn't believe that babys could have reflux and if they did, it didn't hurt them. I tell you this because sometimes your pediatrician may mean well, but their opinions or ideas are contrary to the best interest of your child, so a second opinon just to be sure you've covered all your bases is sometimes a very good idea. You are your child's voice.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Have you tried gas drops? I know there is an infant gas-x available. While I realize it may be reflux you may want to try tackling gas first. Gas can be an ugly cycle they eat and get gassy, then they get fussy and cry a lot because of the gas, when they cry they swallow more air and tense up making it almost impossible to release the gas until finally (even in a calm state) they throw up everything or close to everything. Then they get hungry and want to eat again.

Something I tried that worked along with sitting my son up after feedings is a combination of bicycle legs and tummy time. The extra pressure on the stomach help relieve the gas in the upper tract and the bicycle legs helps relieve pressure in the lower tract.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Is your baby gaining weight on his on growth curve? Is he happy or miserable? Do you have private insurance?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Is he lactose intollerant? If you have tried all those formulas and nothing helps I would find another pedi. A good doc will listen to you.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• He weighed 13lbs 3oz on June 2.... So yes, he is gaining weight. He isn't lactose intollerant, I have tried soy formula also. He is a happy baby but he has this look in his eyes like he sayings "make me feel better" He has private insurance, yes. I have tried the gas drops.
    lucomommy

Comment by lucomommy (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Soy formula is not for babies that are lactose intolertant. Similac has a formula just for babies that are lactose intolertant. It is their Sensitive brand and the label is orange. I had problems with my son and throwing up along with gas. I kept switiching formulas and educating myself on formulas until we found one that worked. I wasn't going to put my son a "drug" when he was willing to eat and gaining weight. I had to figure out how to help him keep it down, which I did find. I hope you can find something that works.
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would try similac sensitive (if you haven't already) it stopped the majority of DD's spit up hope everything works out
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 3:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• At least your insurance makes it easier to fire the do-nothing doc! Good luck.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011