Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid running away

I know a 16 yr old boy that's run away from his mom because she is abusive,he says he's been to the hospital to report her abuse and all that's come out of it is, she had to take parenting classes and nothing else. I sent a letter tot his kid on facebook and apparently he has his facebook on the sms mobile. His moms sawe my letter to him and said,he's feeding me full of bullshit and that it's against the law to harbor a runaway. I'm not harboring him at all I fed him a few meals and let him have a place to sleep. But apparently I'm suppose to report this to the police.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • This woman according to her son thinks she's above the law and can't be reasoned with. He says he has tried. He can't emancipate himself unless he's getting married.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • sadly if she calls the cops and they contact you, you have to take the kid back to the mother. sadly there is nothing you can do:(

    Answer by hopeful_mommy_ at 2:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • I believe that would be a personal decision based on your own beliefs and morals. Legal or not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • it is against the law to harbor a runaway and if he is being abused it should be reported to the police.. lots of times if the kid is old enough and has a safe place to stay the police will talk the parents in to letting the kid stay where ever they are to end the violence...

    Answer by girlglow6 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Teens can lie through their teeth!! Be careful, I am not saying he is lying, but CYA !!! Inform the school, CPS, or something....he is still a minor and his mother is still his mother....BE CAREFUL. I understand the want to help, but do your homework mama before you get too far wrapped up in this.

    Answer by Dahis at 2:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • he can emancipate himself if he becomes responsible for himself.. gets a job finds a place to live and stays in school.. if he's pulling his own weight and out of the house he can call cps and report his mother and be given the opp to prove himself to a court..

    Answer by girlglow6 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Get Child Protective Services involved. My 13yr old daughter would try and run away cause she was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and we didn't know it. CPS got involved and did a thorough investigation and after all that we found out she had that. Totally under control now with the proper meds and therapist.

    Answer by Lomasre at 2:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Hhhmmm that is a very touchy subject. The best way to go about it is to make sure you follow all legal steps that involve the safety and best interest of the child. It is possible that the child is being abused. It is also possible that he/she could be making up stories. The best way to CYA is to get CPS invloved. Good luck to you

    Answer by mashonad07 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.