How did you decide on a career?

Even if it's not what you're doing now, how did you decide what to go to college/university for?

I'm 22 and I really want to go. I'm sick of working in retail, even though I'm good at it... I just feel like it's time to really...grow up. I have tried to work in entry level reception positions (ones that post "no college education needed" in their ads) but never went further than a couple of job interviews... and ended up back in retail. I can't decide what I want to do. I feel like I'm not really good at anything, and I'm not that smart... I'm just okay at everything I try. In high school, I wanted to be in fashion or music (I was a huge band geek), but once I turned 18 and got pregnant, I forgot it all. Now I'm feeling stuck.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I found something I was passionate about and made it my life's goal. I'm meta-apprenticing to be a home birth midwife. It's a lot of work, but I can't stay away from it, it's just amazing.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 2:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wendy- that seriously fit me to a tee. I was a number 6 lol
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 3:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am 32 and in a "job" for all those same reasons, I just happened to fall in to this one because my Uncle was the plant manager at the time I needed a job, 18, and here I am.. I tried going to massage school and going for medical coding and I realized once again, I'm just not smart - I was tested at 30 and found out I have Adhd and a learning disability, the meds make me mean and crazy so I refuse to take them so I feel stuck also -although its a good job, I would love to have a career
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• First time to college I did to become a Nurse... second time I did Administrative Justice as my major and Corrections as my minor... than the last time through I did MicroCopmuter Ops

Only "advice" I can give... choose a field that doesn't end up outsourced? My last time through I watched my jobs go mainly to India

And I am just extremely blessed now to be a SAHM, wasn't where I saw myself growing up, and could have saved a ton in federal loans... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My three favorite subjects in high school were computers, math, and accounting. I knew I didn't want to be a teacher, so I was trying to decide between majoring in computer programming and accounting. Then, I learned my university had an information systems major in the college of business; it was the perfect fit for me. I got computer classes along with business classes, including accounting. My major led to my career. My title is officially "developer", but I do a lot of analysis also.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I changed majors several times. When I went into the military at 23, I was a hospital corpsman, which is a medic in the Navy. I really liked what I did, and I particularly liked women's health. I'm now going to school to be a certified nurse midwife. I also worked in a nutrition clinic, which I enjoyed. I plan to also become a registered dietitian, because nutrition is such an important component of pregnancy.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• What I'm doing now is something I'm very passionate about though I didn't need a college degree to get into it, however I still went to college and got a BA in English Literature and I'm going back to get a degree in American History because those are things I'm interested in and I can use them towards becoming a teacher - not sure if I ever will because I'm currently doing the job I've always wanted but someday when I'm older and want something that isn't as hectic and has more normal hours I've decided teaching is something I would want to "fall back on" so to speak. My main issue with learning has always been that I can not seem to commit the right amount of focus and effort on subjects that I had little to no interest in and other than computers History and English were the only classes I enjoyed in High School.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have never been a school person. I am hands on. The military was perfect for that but I left because it's ba for kids to have two parents in the military. I love retail. I think that's what prepared me for direct sales. This is very much my career and thankfully there is no college. I do plan on going to school for culinary but only or a hobby, not a career.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had multiple interests, but none that stood out as "the perfect career" for me.  For a long time I didn't choose anything because I was afraid of making the wrong choice.  At some point I decided I just had to choose something, stick with it, and get finished with school. I realized if I kept putting it off I'd never finish. I think making the wrong choice, or at least a not perfect choice, for a career is better than making no choice at all. If you think you want to do something different than you are doing now, then do a little investigating, make a choice, and then just go for it. If it turns out to not be the perfect career for you, it's not the end of the world...it's just more experience, and if it comes with a degree it definitely won't be useless even if you end up going in a different direction. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011