Autism??

I took my son to his 2yr old well baby check up and after the doctor spent a good amount of time in there with us he wants us to get my son tested for autism. I'm just trying to figure out anything on it or moms that have been or are in my situation.

jaxandkinzmom

Asked by jaxandkinzmom at 2:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• What were the docs reasons? Have you noticed any behavior that you think is unusal?
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• PLEASE don't let your doctor scare you. Is he planning on referring you to someone?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Did your doctor provide you with a list of what specifically was concerning to him? Do you have any conerns regarding your son's development? It can't hurt to have your child evaluated, as there must have been something that triggered the doctor's concern, but it may not necessarily be autism that is the issue, as there are many things that can mimic autism, especially in a child so young. However, it is autism or even autism-like, early intervention is important and can make a world of difference to your child's development. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to message me as I am the parent of a 16 y/o son w/autism. There are also numerous autism & special needs groups right here on CM where you can find loads of help.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• He definitley has strange behaviors I mean the doctor was in there with us for about 40 mins and picked up on all of this on his own I just thought maybe that's how the terrible 2 stage was. But I have noticed that kids younger or even @ the same age level seem to be more advance than him. Now he does do somethings that make me think well maybe it's something else but all is unknown untill we get our referals in the mail to go see some specialist.
    jaxandkinzmom

Comment by jaxandkinzmom (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• what kind of speialist did he send you to?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Developmental and Behavioral Specialist and a speech therapist he said he'll send me to those and I'm supposed to contact him as soon as we're done with the appts
    jaxandkinzmom

Comment by jaxandkinzmom (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It's good that your dr picked up on it! My pediatrician kept telling me my son was fine, I had to push to find out about Early Intervention - you can google the one for your area and they should do a free developental evaluation. Finally at 3 my son was diagnosed with autism and I so wish I had found out sooner! Early intervention is so important for kids with autism. Good luck!
    Don't forget whatever you find out, he's the same little boy he's always been. He may have some delays and frustrating behaviors, but he's still just a little boy!

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Developmental Pediatrican should be well qualified enough to handle a diagnosis. I have three boys with autism and all different parts of the spectrum too. Don't know that a behavioral therapist is needed unless your child is self -injuring. Get a diagnosis first then if recommended seek a behavior specialist. Feel free to PM if you have questions.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• or if you don't want to PM you can always ask questions here...  http://www.cafemom.com/group/76  

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011