Can anybody who had or knows what goes on in a c-section? adult content

am very worried im not haveing one for sure but i belive this baby is huge an they r doing an ultrasound tomorrow at 39 weeks an seeing how big she is an how she is positioned cuz im in so much pain an shes pinching 3 nerves. am scard an worried that they will say i need a c-section i want to deliver naturaly. please help me calm down lol i would like to know how it feels then an after an maybe further down the road cuz my first kid kid riped me an i still can feel that today an shes almost 4. will i still feel it, how will it effect my body. will i have to be sleeping or will i be awake. does this effect breastfeeding as i wish too. does it hurt the baby at all?

BOOKER123ABC

Asked by BOOKER123ABC at 2:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've had 4 c-sections, and as far as still being able to feel it, I don't. I have a scar, and there is some residual numbness in spots along the scar line, but other than that, I don't really notice. I was awake for every one, they just gave me a spinal to numb the area. I had to stay in the recovery room a longer time than normal for the last 3 of mine, but that has to do with my particular issues. I was able to breastfeed with no problems, and I was up and walking around as soon as they took the catheter out. I make it a point to move around a lot, as much as I can, because the faster you are up and moving, the faster you will start feeling better.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had 2, an emergency C and a planned one. They were completely different.
    Beings that I've never had a natural birth, I can't compare the 2 but I had the option of trying natural w/#2. I opted for the C.

I loved mine! I knew when it was, the day, the time, what would go on (anesthesia, delivery, afterwards, etc). I have no regrets.

You'll be fine momma!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Small women birth big babies every day. Chances of you growing a baby you can't push out are VERY slim without complications like injuries to your pelvis or gestational diabetes.

First, you need to have a care provider who understands how to get big babies out. Having you lie on your back to push is NOT going to get a big kid out! Upright positions during labor AND during pushing is best, even if you don't have a huge baby :)

Second, having a big baby is NOT a reason for C-section or induction unless the baby is estimated to weigh more than 11 pounds, according to ACOG. So I'd avoid the ultrasound alltogether, since they can be off by up to 2 pounds.

Third, having torn twice, if you are stitched up properly you won't have any issues. If you are still having trouble with a perineal scar, see your care provider about it.

Fourth- C-sections are harder to recover from, but it's not the end of the world. CONTINUED
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I was TERRIFIED going in. I had an emergency c-section, and I hadn't mentally prepared myself for it. I sobbed through the surgery as I mourned my natural birth. In retrospect, the surgery wasn't horrible, and my recovery was very smooth for me. I did have bleeding issues during surgery (I have pre-existing iron-deficiency anemia). By 2 weeks post-partum, I was resuming my walking regiment. We had a lot of trouble with breastfeeding for the first 6 weeks. DS had trouble with latching, and I had post-partum depression. We also had a VERY complicated labor, so I know the c-section wasn't the only contributing factor. If you can mentally prepare yourself, you'll be okay. I can definitely understand your desire for a natural birth, especially if you had to have a c-section with your first. Hopefully you can try for a VBAC. You should be able to be awake for this one. Good luck, mama! Hugs!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You will most likely be awake for the procedure, numbed from your chest down. You might feel pressure and pulling, but you won't feel any pain. You will be very sore for a while and you will need extra help taking care of yourself and the baby. The risks increase with C-section, you are more likely to have complications, and you are more likely to have conditions like placenta accreata or previa in later pregnancies, so avoiding it is best. Even if you do end up with a C-section, you can still go on to have vaginal births later if you want to. You will probably have to search for a care provider who is supportive, but it can be done!

Last... I had a 10 pound baby at home on my bedroom floor. We are both fine.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I haevn't had one thru c-ection, but I know all my in-laws and sis have... here are what I learned, plus I researched thinking I was going to need one too...

you will be awake, unless its an emergency- they do a spinal, but in emergencies- they knock you out w/ gas
    you will be sore and have trouble walking afterwards, recovery time is about 2 weeks til you can get around normal again
    you will feel some pulling/tugging- but not "pain"
    doesn't effect breastfeeding, other than you will be groggy and sore from surgery, and you may have to wait til the spinal wears off, which will still be fine.

**plus side, no tearing. :) But also keep in mind that many ladies have big babies- that is no cause for a c-section, on its own- unless there are other reasons. I was a tiny little nothing and had a 9.3 lb baby.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• First, they do NOT always knock you out with an emergency C-section. I was wide awake with my emergency C-section, I had an epidural. I felt nothing!! The recovery was not bad and I had very little pain afterwards. You can't lift for the first 2 weeks, so make sure you have someone to help out. I had no trouble walking either. I had an almost 9 pound baby and had to have an emergency c-section because my pelvic bones didn't separate and he got stuck and wrapped in the cord to the point he was being suffocated everytime I had a contraction. If I ever have another child, it will be by c-section.

But, that is a decision that YOU have to make, don't feel bad if you decide to go the c-section route, the end result isn't how you have the baby but that you have a healthy baby.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• thank u an yes i hope i dont have too but im one that expects the worst so that im planned or some what prepaired lol an so that i dont get all worked up then. i just want everything to go smothly an ok. the last one didnt i got a spinal an they couldnt get the med cart open so they count give me the drip but he gave me the shot witch would last for a hour or 2. it started weareing off around an 1hr an i had my daughter an half an hour after so was still a little num but not all the way. an the doc told me to start pushing an he will be in their after he dresses i dont know how long he was gone put i pushed 6 times an my baby came out the nurse caught her as the doc open the door. so ya he sucked an yes he stiched me up an i still feel it today an it hurts i went to a different obgyn an they said it was normal to have it hurt years after cuz its scar tissue an its in a sentisitive area.
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No, it's not normal. See a midwife, she will be able to give you some tips and tricks to make you more comfortable. Perineal massage is great for breaking down scar tissue and making it more comfortable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• k thanks
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011