My Boxer smells......horrible.....

I seriously do not know why, where or how he gets smelling this bad! My husband gives him a bath every 2-3 weeks, I cant stand to be around him anymore... I knew boxers where gross dogs... but good lord! His fur/skin smells like hes been licking his rearend and then licking his whole body! I use this special oatlmeal shampoo b/c he has sensitive skin... he cant really use anything else otherwise he itches all day and night and gets scabs, and you cant wash him more than every 2 weeks either.His scabs used to be what the smell was...but since I have used this new shampoo, no more scabs...but still a horrid smell. Anyone on here know what to do???

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 8:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pets

• vet time.
    Anonymous

• try giving him an egg every 2 days with his food (raw or cooked) it will help keep his coat healthy... or check his ears. when my dogs ears get all dirty they smell
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Take him to the Vet. Hope he is well.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 8:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i work for a vet... theres nothing medically wrong with him,besides he has sensitive skin and smells. i have ear drops for him b/c he had an ear infection when he was a puppy but that is gone. i have another boxer who has no problems, i guess he is just going to have to smell. i cant give him anything in his food either because he has a sensitive stomach, and is on special food already. i guess hes just one of those purebred problem dogs :( still love him with all my heart though!
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 8:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• they have wipes for dogs and cats that u can use in between baths at walmart,, not sure the specific name but they smell great and u just rub it all over them and it takes smells and excess dirt off them,, works for my dog..... plus not sure if this is bad or not but if my dog id really smelling bad i take a bounce dryer sheet and rub it al over the dog ,,, works great and leaves their coats soft..... that's what i do,,,
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My dog is smelly too! No matter how many baths he gets! I was going to suggest the dryer sheet thing the pp said too. It works sometimes for mine, I usually do it if people are coming over or I have to take him in the car because he smells so bad.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 2:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Probably a diet issue... what does he eat? Look into feeding a high end GRAIN FREE food... or even a raw diet... but I think that if you get him on a good food you will notice a difference! Here is a good site to learn about foods, what to look for in a food, etc. www.dogfoodanalysis.com
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have dog perfume for mine.. it is great! especially when you are going to have company and don't have time to give them a bath!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• This is a stupid question, but does he get to roll around outside? When mine are just playing outside they like to roll around in the yard. It's not so bad in the yard but when we go for walks all they do is lay down in the grass (not in poo, =) ) and they reek when we get home. It's amazing. We went to a doggy play date one at a private home. After running around in the backyard for an hour with about 10 other pups, I could barely stand to be in the car with him. I was dry heaving... Anyway, have you tried fish oil for his sensitive skin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• what about his anal glands? That's a big issue with dogs who have had their tales docked...talk about reaking! Uhg!
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 5:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008