A Miracle Baby

A Miracle Baby

It's being called a holiday miracle, a baby born after his mother is torn in half during a car accident.

As many stories begin, it was a dark and snowy night in Russell County, Kentucky. A tractor-trailer, carrying a man and his fiancee was traveling down U.S. 127 near Lake Cumberland. As the truck hit a patch of ice, it jack knifed and hit an embankment. The woman, Olga Maria Nunes Bera-Cruz, who was eight months pregnant, was thrown from the truck and dragged a short distance. Her body was torn in half as she struck a road sign.

In the 15 degree weather, some neighbors rush to the scene to see what had happened. After seeing the lower half of the mother's body, the girl also sees an umbilical cord and follows it with her eyes to spy a tiny baby. She and her mother start crying and she runs to the house to get a blanket for the baby. She said that as she picked him up he began crying.

Within five minutes of the wreck the fire department and Russell County Emergency Medical Teams were on the scene. Charles Shepherd, an EMT, saw the woman and girl holding the blanket, he found the baby inside and promptly felt for a pulse, cut the cord and took the baby into the ambulance where he administered oxygen and worked at rewarming the baby.

The father, Furtado P. Boaventura, who suffered only minor injuries, was crying over his wife and baby as the fire department helped him. He was able to hold his son's hand briefly before the baby was air lifted to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, KY.

The baby, named Patrick, for the girl, Trisha Welch, who wrapped him in a blanket, is in fair condition today, upgraded from critical. Spokeswoman for the hospital says that he is a really beautiful baby boy. She also told us that many people had been calling for the rights to talk about the story, including USA Today, national news shows and more.

Boaventura was wearing a seat belt. Bera-Cruz was in the sleeping compartment, not wearing a seat belt. She sat up as the accident occurred allowing her to be thrown from the compartment, out of the windshield as the truck hit the embankment, according to police.

Workers at the scene say that a Bible was found near the baby, opened to John chapter 20. They say that this is the sign that it is a true miracle, as if we needed another reason to believe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Come on Obby, even if you don't believe in miracles, it's an uplifting story. Why be so negative about it?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think it's a heartbreaking story that could have been more heartbreaking. That's not a happy ending. Also the bible part is coincidental. That just means a bible was in the car. I'm no American but isn't that common in Kentucky?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It is a heartbreaking story with a happy ending. I wish the family well on their dealings with the tragedy as well as the new life.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Miracles do happen.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• people have to remember that miracles happen every day and it is sad that the mother was in a horrible accident. prayers go out to the family
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• its so sad but happy at the same time the family got one blessing an lost one that must be realy hard on the family hope theyr doing well.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 9:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I just looked it up on ABC news and don't see the bible part but see that her torso was severed. I think this is a stretch here
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• like a few others, I fail to see how it's considered a miracle, but whatever works for you I suppose...
    I feel for the baby-has no mom now. As for the bible part- I'm sure a lot of people have bibles in their vehicles
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Obby, don't you find it remarkable that the baby was not injured by the road sign that severed the mother's body? Babies do not have good temperature regulation, so this baby could have easily gone into shock very quickly. The mother probably lost massive amounts of blood - another reason why it is amazing that this baby survived. I understand that you do not see it the same way as people with faith in God, but I am surprised that your answer seems to suggest that this baby's survival would have been expected.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• wow....what a mericle
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011