how do you get respect from your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Spank their hinies when they do something wrong and in a calm voice explain if they don't do it they won't get in trouble.
    Anonymous

• Respect is something that's earned but for children this young, it's something they need to be taught. Either way, respect is earned when it's given. If you've been raising your children with respect, they'll respect you in return. (They'll also learn this by watching you and the other adults around them. Especially if there is mutual respect between adults.)

We respect our children by providing a warm, loving environment with boundaries and consistency. We respect our children by having positive relationships with the other adults in their life. If they see adults treating each other well, they'll do the same.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I never made a threat that I wasn't willing to carry out. When I said something it was carried out the first time- no count downs, no three times, I said it and it was done, and if not, I took the child by the hand and helped them do it until they got the idea- no other activity until what I had said got done. "Put your toys in the toybox." For example. If it wasn't done immediately. I didn't do it for him, I gently helped him pick up each toy and walk it to the box.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i would love to know that too.... i got nothing...
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree with twinclubmom. I try to show my kids respect so that they will learn how to give it. They need to see that everyone is worthy of respect. The best way to teach is to be a good role model.
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• With my son I showed him what respect was and taught him that it was a 2 way street. He knows that we can have fun together, but ultimately I am his mother, not his friend. My word is law. I also taught him how to be respectful even if he doesn't agree with my position, but he has to form a valid reasoning. I think part of raising a healthy adult is teaching the importance of using your words and not debating unless there's a point at the end.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I let my daughter know that she will respect me and that is if she wants to get respect. I do and will whoop her butt when she is not being obedient. She knows momma does not play in regards to respect. Yes, my baby girl is only 2 years old.. so it is my responsiblitly to teach her early. If I hear her saying things to people that is inappropriate for a child, than I correct it by letting her know that she can not speak to people that way. So I just do a lot of correction and teaching.
    akylah

Answer by akylah at 11:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Uhm, I show him respect. If I want to be hit then I hit him. I just make sure he learns from me through a good example what I want from him. I'm also careful when I place questions that it is a question and not something I don't want a debate on. I sign/say thank you, please, and sorry and so does my son. I make sure he understands the rules before I punish him for breaking them (this doesn't mean I allow him to get away with breaking them. This means I give early warnings.)
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 12:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I know he's a human like me, and makes mistakes. I tell him the correct way of doing things, but I know his age limit. Respect is earned from both sides. I will not think I deserve it if I'm being unrationally mean to my child. I do know he will throw his tantrums, though, because it's his age. He will speak politely to adults and others, and he will behave as I am teaching him to, not because I'm standing right there, but because it is the way to behave all of the time. Respect is given unless you need it taken away. I've always respected my son from the time he was born and I will continue to as well. Just like I hope he respects me and others forever.
    Kenre

• Respect is created with kids by doing what you say youre going to do. That can either be a good thing or a negative thing. Meaning if its something you promised, then do it and even if its punishment as well. You must follow through on everything you say. Thats how they learn that youre respectable. I have struggled with this. Its good to show your kids respect and show them that youre listening to them, but also remember...they are still the child and your still the parent. Respect CAN go two ways, but it absolutely MUST come from the bottom up first. The root problem in most behavior issues is lack of respect. Having a reverential fear for punishment usually keeps kids out of trouble.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2008