I want to work an breastfeed? adult content

how have u managed to do both. i will be going back just part time to start then full time a little later on not sure how far on but when do u pump where can u pump at work how many times should u pump.

BOOKER123ABC

Asked by BOOKER123ABC at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can pump and store the milk..pump after nursing the baby you may be able to get a lil out after nursing..if u are engorged in the mornings you can pump to relieve the engorgement so the baby will latch on better...pump every hour if the baby doesnt nurse every hour that will also bring up ur milk supply
    blessed_mom774

Answer by blessed_mom774 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Try to pump as your baby would feed if you were at home. Talk to your boss ahead of time, and invest in a good pump. They re required to provide a quiet private place for you to pump, and that will vary by your workplace. Make sure there's a fridge available for you to store the milk in, and make sure it's labeled.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• This is what I did and it was great for me. I introduced the bottle (formula) to the baby the first week. Around one bottle a day. After around 5 weeks I dropped one breast feeding and replaced it with a bottle. I started with noon. I stayed the same for around a week. The next week I dropped another, Around 3:00. Then the next week I dropped another 9:00 am. When I went back to work at 4-5 months, I nursed first thing in the morning. Took the baby to daycare where she was give formula. I nursed right when I got home around 5:30. I nursed all night. I never pumped. We were able to keep this up for 9 months. I did this with 2 babies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would go home during lunch, which was a convience to me and then again after work before I got the baby from the sitters- everyday
    At lunch, I would pump the 2 bottles worth he had taken at the sitter and afternoon I pumped the 2 he had taken at the sitters again, so for the next day he had that 4 I just pumped... I stayed 1 day ahead all the time, and that was it. I did pump ahead bunches.

If I had to do it at work, they should funish a room, no way could I have done it in a bathroom.

I did it the full year then went to only nursing when I am home. I survived, I was very worried if I would- but I did. lol
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Buy some breast milk storage bags and pump. Store the milk in fridge or freezer depending when you planning on using it. Leave instructions for the baby sitter/ day care worker on how to heat milk making sure there aren't any "hot spots". You can also put the milk in the bottle so all they have to do is heat. Good luck
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• thanks will keep all options in mind althought i would like to only breastfeed.
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• you will need to invest in a high quality dual electric pump. It isn't easy or fun, but it CAN be done. I went back to work and DS never got one bottle of formula. I pumped till he was a year then nursed am/pm/weekends till he was 19 mos.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i got a pump an it does electric or hand done, so all set their. not sure how much shes going to need or if am produceing enough milk how will i know
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• check out www.kellymom.com, they are a great resource
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• "i got a pump an it does electric or hand done, so all set their. not sure how much shes going to need or if am produceing enough milk how will i know "

Be aware that there are some pumps that aren't worth it. If you'll be working full time, spend the bucks on a Medela, Ameda or Hygeia. The others are really a waste.

Pump once for every three hours away. Expect .5 - 2 ounces per session. Baby's need is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're away, fed in servings of about three ounces. Four tops.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011