Black Bean Recipes and Lentil Recipes

I am looking for healthy alternatives to having meat all the time. The hubby will eat beans and lentils, however it seems like when i Google them, I get a lot of soup or chili recipes.. and well it is summer now. So black bean Recipes and any recipes with lentils...much appreciated!

Pumelo

Asked by Pumelo at 2:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I make Black Bean Quesadillas that are delicious!

I chop one medium onion and mince 8 cloves of garlic. Heat 2 tbs of olive oil and add the onion and garlic, saute until translucent. Add one pound of ground beef and cook until browned. Of course add salt and pepper. Drain the grease. Add four cans of black beans and two small cans of chopped green chilis. Make sure you rinse and drain the beans in cold water. Add 1/2 cup water and 4 tbs cumin. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the beans are soft. If you need to, add more water, not much, but you don't want it to burn before the beans are soft. Mash with a potato masher. You don't have to mash, but the beans don't fall out of the quesadillas when mashed. If it is soupy at all, cook a few more minutes to get rid of any extra liquid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You can use them in burritos and such. I saute up some onions and bell peppers and season them like taco meat, toss them with black beans, and use that in lieu of meat. I also add them to enchiladas. I don't use lentils, since none of us are fans. Check out Sparkpeople.com and do some Google searches and see what you can find. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Take your favorite flour tortilla and put the bean mixture on half, less is more in this recipe. Sprinkle with your favorite cheese, I prefer extra sharp cheddar on these or pepper jack cheese. Place several on a baking sheet, put in a hot 350degree oven. Cook five minutes and flip over, cook five more minutes. Remove from oven and cut each one in four pieces. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, corn salsa, guacamole...

Put the remaining filling in ziploc freezer bags. This recipe makes 30 medium sized quesadillas. I serve one to two quesadillas per person.

Just a couple of more things. You do not have to use beef, you can use chicken or go meat free. Even my husband, who is a total carnivore loves these without meat. For smoother clean up I always line my baking sheet with parchment paper.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011