Frustration issues

18 month old boy - Was playing basket ball at daycare and bit another child in the arm as they were wanting the same ball. First time this took place. What can I do if anyting since it happened at daycare and not in front of me. They told him he hurt her and he hugged her and was sorry. Perhaps he did it as he can't explain his frustration. I just want to nip it now before it becomes a future problem. Advise?

Amy016

Asked by Amy016 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ya, the biting thing is really tough...and yet it's unacceptable. At home help him express himself and give him the words to do it when mad or frustrated. Talk about how biting is wrong and can hurt someone. Maybe give permission at day care for a time out for that behavior. Make no exceptions and every time there is a biting episode, correct the behavior on the spot.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think EVERY toddler goes through a biting phase! Get ready for much more of the same behavior. All you can do is scold him when he does it around you, and I'm sure the day care provider is as well. Children that age don't have a good grasp of the fact that an action can hurt someone, even if it doesn't hurt him. And you're right, it probably is out of frustration - wouldn't you be frustrated if your language skills aren't as developed as they are now, and the person to whom you are trying to communicate has the stubbornness of a toddler? I think I'd bite too, haha!

So anyway, just discourage the behavior sternly when it happens, explain that it hurts, and end it there. Don't go on too long or it will encourage him even more. To toddlers, even negative attention is attention!

Good luck!
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• just watch for it to happen again, he really is too young to fully understand what he has done.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• What do you recommend if he does it again. Simply explain we don't hurt and make him apologize and give hug. He was smacking and pinching before and that seemed to stop but now it's with the bitting.
    Amy016

Comment by Amy016 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• wil my son i make him go say sorry and give a hug and give the thing over the take him away to play with something ealse if he wont say sorry or dose it again i make him sit down for 2 mins
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011