Help getting an 8 year old girl to stop talking babyish

my step daughter never had the best past i meet her at 4 and basically helped  her learn  to talk she now 8 and lives with me 24-7 . we found out at 5 she had hearing problems that's with her past have all added to her speech problems . she got grommet in her ears since she was 6 so should hear fine now her speech is not terrible but i think she now 8 and she need to talk a lot better

at school she was marked down on talking and listening not as in a fail but she at a much younger level than what she sould be

she seen speech therapist a few times and there probs with her sounds but that cant really be fixed till she older  they said about 10

my problem is with what she saying  she say stuff like"  i felled by the rock being there " instead of i fell over the rock . and she say that or thing and when you ask her what she means she says i dont know what its called or looks at my blankly . when i hear her say  words that are not words i will say no what do you say and half the time she just looks at her  feet until i tell her what to say . i don't think she cant learn more she dose not want to as she likes to play the cute baby as baby get off with more ! but I'm worried this is whats marking her down at school

so any tips to help her learn to speck better

and please don't say ask her mum her mum not in her life

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• hi

I don't see how you being dyslexic and scottish has anything to do with your step daughter's speech problem

it will take time to get her out off saying things that have become normal for her but it will get better with some encouragement to say proper words. you should make a game up when you get her to describe something in your house without her getting to say that thing there - sometime this may help - you can get learning books which teach phonics, reading, writing, spelling which may help your step daughter improve with her speech

if you still have concerns after trying this maybe you should speak to a teacher at the school and find out if there anything you can try that may help her

good luck and hope your step daughters speech improves
    Badassgoth

Answer by Badassgoth at 3:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• maybe with you being dyslexic & having a Scottish accent it's difficult for her.
    Anonymous

• Honestly..you don't speak very well either....judging by your entry.
    Anonymous

• i'm dyslexic and scottish i talk just fine
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• ???? she also scottish we live in scotland and what dose my spelling and wrightng have to do with it . i dont speek that much slang . if you heard me talking you niver know i was dyslexic . i have very clear speech and i'm not bumb at all i just cant spell half the words i like to and no spell checks cant help
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Not seeing what being dyslexic and scottish have to do with how your grammar is bad, but okay.

My niece had the same problem growing up of speaking babyish, without the added issues your SD has. It was just a phase and she outgrew it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my daughter, ashley, has speech problems too. what we do is make a game of words - i say it to her and she says it right and then i have to say it wrong.....she gets points for every right one and i get points for bad ones (can't say it as she did, have to come up with a new way).....it helps her and she giggles at my attempts..... songs help also.....reward for efforts and to get rewards she will try harder......we have prize box and she picks one out based on her number of correct words.
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• dyslexia effect meany things to do with wrighting and reading not just spelling . i dont really want a debate on it i'm just looking for tips to help my step daughter
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011