Am I wrong? be truthful

My mil babysits for us m-f, starts at 7:40a, one day I get home at 12:10pm, the two days I am home at 11:20, and two days I work until 1:45. So we pay her $100 a week for three kids (good deal..but..) After taxes I only bring home $189/week, after paying her I make $89. I try to work extra hours but whenever I ask her to babysit later so I can she bitches and says NO!. I am giving her over half of my pay. I spend about $30 a week on gas=$59 left of my pay. I asked her to lower the rate or let me work more hours. (she gets retirement, plus rental income(landlord!))..

see first comment...

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Honestly? I would just drop her as a sitter. Since your older children are in school (well, not during the summer) I would just find someone for the hours you want to work! If she gets angry, just tell her you need more hours and you don't want to impose on any more of her time! As for her expecting pay, when I worked I was upset that my mom wouldn't accept money for watching my ds. She had to manage her home and tend to my baby! So I feel she should be paid since it's a daily duty she does. I think taking her out of your daily life would improve your relationship lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It's not your mil's responsibility to provide you with childcare. I think she's being pretty generous by watching 3 children for $100. If she doesn't want to watch them for longer than she already does then either don't work, get a better paying job or find another daycare.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's worth it for you to work. Tell your MIL that since you are paying out so much for child care you aren't making anything and are quitting your job - maybe she will lower the rates or allow you to work more when it really affects her.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes, you're wrong. You're LUCKY your mil babysits at all. She isn't obligated to babysit just because you and your husband chose to have children. YOU decided to have kids and YOU are responsible for them. That includes daycare. You should be showering your mil with thanks, not being passive aggressive and cheap.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It would be better for you not to work
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• with 3 kids, its sometimes better to stay home because you pay out more to sitters than you bring home, family is no exception- she hasn't lowered her job expectations, so why lower her pay? That's not her fault that she is making more than you and a daycare would charge you probably triple what you are giving her. Sucks but its true. I have been in the same situation.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• sounds like you should just quit your job..you are not making any money and pretty much working for freee.i quit my job bc i was in the same boat except i didnt have but one kid..i have been home for a few yrs now and its the best thing ive ever done
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Three choices:

1. Find a better paying job.
    2. Find a new sitter... even an afternoon sitter so you can work your longer hours and MIL gets to leave when she wants.
    3. Quit working.

Your job isn't penciling, frankly. I don't like being a SAHM (tried it, hated it), but I wouldn't keep working with that little return on my time investment. I'd need to be keeping half or more of my weekly take-home.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• By the way... doesn't matter if she says no to another sitter. YOU get to make that decision.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• PS I do not know that you're wrong, I am just imagining scenarios in which your MIL might be feeling, so you can try to see her side, have a conversation about what she wants/needs and why, and meet in the middle.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011