Does anyone know of a good step-parenting book I can buy?

My soon to be husband has a 10 yo daughter. I want to make sure we start off right and wanted to prepare before I move in. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Anne11

Asked by Anne11 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know of any books but really, just don't try to be her mom, your not and you never will be. Just be an adult in her life, set a good example for her with your life but don't put down the way her mom does things. Understand that she didn't chose you, you chose her dad and her dad chose you. Also remember that her mom didn't chose to have another woman in her life and certainly didn't get to chose who, so don't expect you and her to be best friends, you may end up being but don't expect it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• there are some good groups on here too. a lot depends on how often she will be there, how involved her dad is in her life. the rules for someone you see every other weekend are a lot different from the dad having full custody and the mom isn't involved at all.

let your SO be the parent, and don't push her to accept you. and set up some ground rules with your SO about how she is to treat you, what happens if she disrespects you, what you can and cant do about her behavior when you and her are alone together. also talk about what she is exspeted to do around the house, what the rules in general are.

happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 4:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011