What is the????

What is the right age to let kids stay by themselves after dark? I have a very responsible 12 year old, 13 in Nov. Just not sure if he is ready to be left at home after dark for a couple hours or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think "law" details day or nighttime, but 13 is the appropiate age to be home alone.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Where I live they can legally babysit by age 13... so guessing they can be left alone well before that... otherwise how would they learn? Just set ground rules (no cooking on stove etc.), and give it a trial run?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• here it is also 13.. if your son were to have something happen.. you will get in trouble for leaving him at home at 12.
    Anonymous

• here a child age 12 can stay at home by themselves but may not babysit until 13, and really depends on the maturity level of your 12 year old.. My 12yr old could have been left by himself for several hours at age 10, he was mature enough but i never did it.. his sister is 5 years older so he's never truely been left alone ever..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• There is no set age by law in my state, I looked. Just not sure if I should or not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• oh.. where do you live?
    Anonymous

• Alabama
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• its 8 here.. i would NEVER leave my child home at 8!!! http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'd try it out a little at a time. Maybe run to the convenience store for some milk or something. Remember, we see and hear things in the dark that we don't in the light. Then maybe bump it up to going to a neighbors for a little while. I'd set rules, no friends, no cooking unless it's the microwave, no swimming, etc. Be close to your cell phone and give him a couple of extra numbers he can call if he feels scared. He'll do fine I'm sure.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• We have already left him for a few hours during the day, several times, and he has done fine. It just makes me a little more nervous about this being at night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011