Can I make it as short as possible ......

DH and his kids rarely speak (unless they want something), it's their choice, not his, he tries. stepdaughter in junior college. DH and ex DO NOT get along, last year sd started school but used DH income for financial assistance (she has never lived with us) because ex makes too much money (another story). DH filed extension on IRS, haven't filed yet. a week ago sd asked for DH W-2 for student aid. sent it, she then said she made a mistake, she needs the 1040. I said it isn't filed, ex says she only has one day to get paperwork in or she has to foot the bill. I asked why they can't accept the W-2 and the extension notice? Not the sd or the ex has returned my calls. Don't you think they should have informed DH waaay earlier they needed to report his income? Less than a week is kinda short notice.

Dahis

Asked by Dahis at 3:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• SHe should use her mother's income, if she lived with her mom. If mother makes less, then she may qualify for grants or more loans. The fact she is using her dad's income says that she's trying to pull a fast one anyway. I'm not saying he shouldn't help foot the bill, but if she isn't going to act like his child, why should he act like her dad? Not going to college is not going to be a death or life issue. It's not like he's condemning her to a fate worse than death if he doesn't pay for it. And yes, she should have contacted him long before. However, why aren't taxes filed for 2010 yet? Even the extension should have ended by now. And most accountants are available now that the rush is over. I'm sure you could get someone to do his taxes now. Kids are supposed to fill out their FAFSAs on or before January. If they wait past that, they risk not getting any grants or loans as all the moneys may have been paid out.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• They should have, but if SD is a grown up she will have to learn responsibility and part of responsibility isn't procrastinating. I know you are trying to do everything you can for her, but I wouldn't hunt them down, if they need things, let them come to you. Otherwise she will never learn to stand on her own two feet.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes. Not to mention that if the sd is in college or junior college then she should be more mature. It is really thier problem not his. No one told him that they would need his help and he tried his best to help on short notice. Lesson learned for them I guess....
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• guess they would be footing the bill this year...
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Why isn't she as an adult filing her own paperwork for federal student loans? You do realize this means your hubby can be stuck paying her college loans, right? I don't know what kind of an arrangement they have in courts with custody, or if it is soemthing you and him are willing to take on... considering you've sent some pretty personal information (guessing he is supporting her college loans?)... because if she had a job she'd be 100% responsible

And it isn't your fault she didn't get her paperwork in order for her schooling... you cannot avoid what happened since you filed an extention... maybe her mother should be taking on this? If her stuff is filed she can take on the debt if SD skips out on paying? Maybe it was a blessing to prevent a bigger mistake... federal/student loans cannot be washed away with a bankruptcy, you will be stuck with her debt because you signed for her as a "parent"... just FYI
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Ok, I have to point out that depending on the girl's age, she does have to use a parent's income - I know when I was under 25 and applying for financial aid, I had to provide my parents income unless I joined the military, had a kid or got married. And that was living on my own, paying my own bills. It's stupid, but it's what they do - or at least what they did, I suppose it could have changed.

But....the girl still should have told her father well ahead of time what she would need from him so he would have time to get it ready for her. If she waited too long, then it's her problem, not his.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully she'll learn as much from this as she will from her classes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• --attap5-said it all based on what you have said. i couldn't agree more! There are consequences for procrastination. You would think kids would have learned this by now...going all through school etc and getting points knocked off grades etc for being late...you know the drill. Duh. Life is the same. Due Dates and Deadlines still mean the same thing.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011