Ok so i have 9 weeks until baby...

not sure if we can afford to for me to go back to work . full time , i might have to look for part time nights or weekends...

i pay 210 carpayment
215 student loan,
gas in car is about 100.00
and if i send the little one to day care 5days a week it will either be 600 or 700 for a home daycare for a
grand total of 1125 or 1225
i bring home 1200,
to me this is a no brainer what do you ladies think... should i go find a part time instead

jenn660

Asked by jenn660 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• or a cheaper sitter
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• thats the thing thats one of the cheapest home daycares around, my SO mom would watch the baby but she is having a hard time walking and what not, so we dont feel its a great idea.
    oh and that doesnt count the 84 i pay for my son to go to daycare for two days a week.. and it doesnt include .. food, or tolieties or to hlep pay anyother house hold bills
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• That is the problem a lot of people have. Daycare is so expensive. See if you can find something evenings or weekends.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Whenever you get paid less than day care costs, it's beneficial to stay home, and vice versa (financially, at least). Your car payment and student loan, etc. won't change no matter what you choose except for a little change in gas. You net about $500-600 a month by working. It's financially beneficial for you to work. However, if you can afford a way to work part time or nights and weekends, do it. Just keep in mind that if you are working part time, you will also probably be paying for part time childcare.

Side note - wow, culture shock! I don't know where you live, but where I live infant day care is $1,300 - $1,700 per month average!!
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 3:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Your math doesn't make sense. You have to pay the car payment and student loan whether you go back to work or not. That is not a working expense. Why add it to the daycare cost? Add up the daycare and the associated costs. Does this cost more than you bring home? You have to pay your bills regardless.
    Anonymous

• I take it that if you go part time there will be someone to provide care? Remember that you'll still have expenses and less income.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i know my other bills other than child care i can pay workign part time when i wouldnt have to pay for childcare, my #s dont include food, tolietries, or anything else like that and i also wouldnt be able to contribute to the household bills, wehere if i bumped back down to part time we wouldnt be paying out just as much in childcare as i make working,

@cypressandsage: my figure is for a home day care if i went to a center based it would be more..

i am hopeful we can get a bigger place to live and i can do a home daycare myself and make money staying home
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i also recieve Child support for my 2.5 yr old
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my car will be paid off in january thankfully and i have enough in savings to cover the next year of car insurance, so thats a plus
    jenn660

Comment by jenn660 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• you don't know what you got 'till it's gone!
    i would let your job "fall off" before you make that move
    just what i would do
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011