How did you wean your LO off the breast?

My son is 15 months and he nurses about 3 times a day and sometimes in the middle of the night. I'm deploying to Afghanistan, so I need him to be weaned soon. I am a SAHM in the Reserves right now, so he only drank a few bottles a month. Around 7 months he would barely drink anything out of a bottle, he'd just wait until I got home and then gulp gulp gulp at the breast for like an hour. Now he just doesn't drink anything for 6-8 hours while I'm at drill. I give him a cup of goat milk at meals, but he only drinks about 1-2oz and then cries and cries wanting to nurse. How can I get him to drink more out of his cup? How can I make this easier for him? He also likes to fall asleep nursing, so how can I stop that as well? How did you wean your LO around this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I weaned DS around 18 months. Start with the night feeding. When he wants to nurse, offer water and cuddles, but make it clear the breast isn't available. Wear a shirt so that it's not so accessible. He will probably cry the first couple of times, but be reassuring, offer water, and lots of love. Then, for each feeding, ask if he's hungry or thirsty, and offer what he says he's looking for, either water or a snack. Often, that's enough. When it's comfort he wants, at first, you can give him the breast, but then start transitioning to cuddles. DS did really well with this gentle approach. We slowly went from 3, then 2, then 1 feed a day, then I officially made it no longer available to him. He cried the first time, then he was fine. Good luck, mama! I hope your deployment goes smoothly!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I just answered this and it said question was gone?

paint your breast w/ childrens washable paint- dont laugh its a wives tale that works and the calendar says today - July 20th is best weaning time!

Tell them it is nasty/yuck/sour and show it to them, takes about 3 days and they finally get it. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My oldest was 13mos when I had to wean. I simply cut him down one feeding at a time til he was off full time. When he wanted it he got a cup and I would hold him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• welll she was 2 & could talk & understand things pretty well, so i told her it was all gone, that she drank it all & she totally believed me...it was as easy as that!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• The real problem with 2teens answer is that it could put the OP in considerable pain from engorgement.

Drop ONE feeding per week till gone. Distract and delay... tell him you will nurse "after Barney" or whatever time marker he recognizes. Don't worry about making him take more from the cup. That will come all on its own.

You can also shorten the length of nursing. Don't allow one hour. Allow shorter and shorter periods as you go to eliminating a feed.

Dad is in charge of bedtime. You disappear from his world at that point. He can't nurse to sleep if you're not there to do it.

All this is really for YOU more than him. He won't be "okay" with it as long as it's not his idea.

Me... I let mine stop on his own. But I didn't have a deployment deadline breathing down my neck.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• yes, you may have engorgement, but mine was always minimal and by day 2, pratcially normal... its as sudden to your body as it is his, but it sounds like you don't have a bunch of time either... and I agree, if you had lots of time, gradually weaning 1 feeding at a time is best.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• "yes, you may have engorgement, but mine was always minimal and by day 2, pratcially normal..."

You are unusual. **grin** I've seen too many moms in serious pain. Anon doesn't mention how soon, but a feeidng a week till gone is about as fast as I'd go.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thanks guys. I have 5 weeks, but i've been trying for over a month already. Thanks for all the advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I didn't have this issue because my daughter decided @ 3 months that formula was better than breast milk.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011