Need advice on iron fort. vita. drops for 13 month old

my 13 month old daughter has a low iron count doc said to use iron fort. vit. drops. should i try to up her iron intake with food or just give her the nasty vit. drops ?

kp215

Asked by kp215 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Food is ALWAYS better. More likely to be taken. The drops are more likely to wind up spat out on you.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Make sure if you use the drops that you mix it in some water or juice because it will stain their teeth. I would just give her the vitamon drops because its already low.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• as vane as it sounds that is one of my concerns, do you know if any drop can be mixed with liquid or only certain ones? do you have experience with low iron will the drops give her an upset stomach?

kp215

Comment by kp215 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I filled an 6 oz sippy with water and a splash of juice and put the drops in, this is what my pedi said to do. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to do it with every kind. I think my pedi said I could even mix it in baby cereal. My son didnt get an upset stomach. I think if you mix it with something it has less of a chance to upset their stomach.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If she's already low in iron, I'd say to try both vitamins and food. If you are having trouble getting your kid to eat meat or other high iron foods, there are lots of cereals that are highly fortified (like multigrain cheerios!) And then you might only need to give her the nasty vitamins every other day or so. But I like the idea of trying to hide it in juice. Just give her the vitamins after a meal to avoid the question of an upset stomach.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011