I am having a C-Section and I am scared to death!!

I am having a C-section in a little over a week and I am scared to death. With my son I had a forth degree tear so we decided to do a C-section this time around. With the forth degree it was so painful and a long recovery. The doctor thinks the baby is going to be a big baby. Please help me to not be so scared about a C-Section. If you had one was it painful, how long was the recovery, did you feel anything during the process. etc.

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I wasn't mentally prepared for mine, so that was the worst of it (I had an emergency c-section). My recovery was very smooth, and DH was very helpful. Breastfeeding was a major issue for about 6 weeks afterward, but we also had a VERY complicated labor, so I know the c-section wasn't the only factor. You'll be okay, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had 3. Not gonna lie, yeah, there is pain, it's surgery, of course there's pain. But, it's not as bad as I had expected, and pain meds really help a lot. Biggest thing to remember is to take it easy, don't lift anything, and don't bend over. I was actually surprised at how easily I healed, and how quick. Best wishes to you and your new little one! Take care.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You're comparing a tear to a MAJOR SURGERY. I had a 4th degree tear from an unnecessary episiotomy. I do know how much it hurts, but I would ***NEVER*** consent to a c-section, which is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY to avoid something which *might* happen.

I am willing to bet that you were on your back, AND were coached to push when you tore... THOSE factors result in tears that can be avoided by squatting, sitting, standing and by pushing when you feel the urge, not when you're told. Size has nothing to do with whether or not you'll tear. Please reconsider this decision, it is *not* medically indicated. It is an incredibly bad idea.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• A planned c-section goes smoothly so I am told. I did not have this experience, my c-section was not planned, it came after 16 hours of labor, during which my daughter decided to act like a total butt and turn face up in my birth canal, and refused to turn back to face down. They gave me more epidural medicine once we got to the OR, but since my daughter was far down in the birth canal they had to push her back up. By the time they actually started cutting the numbness was wearing off, they could not give me anymore because I had already gotten my max dose for my weight. My c section was VERY painful, I was screaming the entire time and my hubby was crying.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had an emergency c with my first, and now am planning on having one with my second. The only thing I felt was some tugging and pulling. The smell of burnt flesh was not very pleasant but was very quick to end. It only took about 15 min for the baby to come out and about 20 to sew me up. Recovery was rough for the first couple of days, and then it was fine. The one thing they don't tell you is that is you plan on having another child later in life it hurts. I'm only 15 weeks with number two and the pressure is already hard to bear. Just relax and go to a happy place for the sugary time. It isn't all bad. You still get to see your baby and hear the first cries. Good luck!
    Afrontz

Answer by Afrontz at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree that you should reconsider your options just because it happened before doesn't mean it will happen again how long was it between births? was it your first and who was your coach these factors make a world of difference did you go to child birth classes? talk with other moms about it don't just agree to have surgery just because you tore before. find out medical facts talk with the Dr's about your choices be open minded enough to hear them out...

traren

Answer by traren at 4:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would opt out of the c/s and go vaginal. You may not tear this time at all especially if you use upright position while pushing and only push when you feel the urge. A c/s is major surgery and may take as long if not longer to heal from. GL.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My recovery for my c-section was way easier and better then with my vaginal delivery. Everyone is different and everyone heals different. But I felt like I was comfortable and back on my feet way sooner with my c-section. Just try to relax, it is well worth it! Good luck!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think it's pretty normal to be scared. I was really nervous about mine too. It went really well. It was a wonderful, beautiful experience for us and I had an unusually fast recovery. The worst part for me was when they were trying to do the epi and couldn't get it in right and then it wasn't numbing me high enough. My husband wasn't allowed into the room until everything was ready for the surgery. It took a while and it freaked me out and I started crying but my dr came over and just held me and talked to me until they got it done. I felt a little pressure when the baby came out and felt a little nauseous after but not for long. I will be having another c-section with this baby and I'm nervous about it even though things went so well with the last one.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had a c-section and yeah sure there was pain but i had it managed with tylenol and ibuprofen by the third day ....my main piece of advice is get up and walking as soon as you can waiting would make your pain much worse so take walks with your wheelchair in the hospital and sit when you need to wheel around and then try walking again good luck with the c-section it's not as bad as everyone says and ask about a spinal not an epidural
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 7:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2011