Life changes after a layoff - Surviving on one's two feet

Several days ago I posted a question about life change stories about surviving without assistance (being many assistant providers can't help everyone). Some CM moms said that they started their own businesses.

My question - How does one start their own business without an income (or an expendable income) during transition of rebuilding (relocating, finding a new job, etc.) and getting to a level of self-sufficiency (with a sufficient customer base and product line for example) that takes time to build (two years or so)?

How can a very broke person transition on just a startup package when startups normally take in more than they dish out financially for the first two years or so?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I did a few things such as hubpages or simplegpt, chacha...anything and everything I could. I saved that money to start the business. It only took me about 3 months to be making a decent amount of money and now it's been 8 months and I am making a great income.

ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• it's hard, i think that's why very few are answering this question because they don't know
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It's hard to start a new business because you have to not only be passionate enough to succeed but also be filling a need for a group of people. Housekeeping is a good gig to start yourself but not a lot of people have the money to pay for housekeepers. Dog walking/sitting is good, too. Good luck!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Any kind of a business venture is likely to have SOME kind of an initial investment. Whether you're making jewelry, cleaning houses etc. you'll need to invest in supplies to get started. Dog walking/sitting might have a smaller initial investment, but you'll still have to pay for the gas to get to your clients (unless you live in a big city like New York).

The amount you need to invest varies from one opportunity to another, though. Do some research on the types of ventures you're thinking about, what is the realistic starting cost, what kind of income can you expect, and how much time and effort would it require of you.
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 8:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2011