Why do some people act like it's the grandparents job to care for their child?!

I don't get it! I had my kids! Not her! I appreciate they do help, but I don't expect it! I see post after post of people bitching about how gma won't watch the kids, or gma doesn't care for them good even though it's free, or inexpensive. Is there a law that they have to help us!?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Agreed! The sense of entitlement is incredible and sad.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Exactly! Sense of entitlement!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I love when parents complain that grandma wants a little money for watching the kids full time while a parent works..... GOOD LORD, you wouldn't expect anyone else to watch your kid for free... not even the 12 year old next door. My mom offered to watch my DS when I went back to work and we HAPPILY paid her for her time.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Grand parents are there to offer support, love their children and grand children, but not to be automatic babysitters. We always asked if they were available before we made firm plans. We've raised our children and shouldn't have to raise our grandchildren. Unfortunately, some grandparents do have to step in and take grand children away because the parents can't get their collective asses together.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think there's SOME assumption that grandparents will help out SOME, but there's a difference between expecting them to take the kids for an afternoon once a week and taking them 5 days a week all day, or 3 nights a week or something like that. Although, if my in-laws had it their way, they'd run off with our son! I actually kind of have to have them back off every so often. I know my MIL feels like SHE is his mom sometimes, which pisses me off. I work 2 jobs now (as the primary breadwinner), and I am here for my son, I WANT to be the one raising him. I don't expect anyone else to RAISE him, but I'm glad they're available to take care of DS, and they take good care of him. He has a lot of love in his life.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• uGH.. I hate that. My sister has been doing this for 11 years and I HATE it.. my mom is basically raising her, doing her school work with her, taking her on trips, going to events, has her own room which until this year stayed at my moms 4 nights a week and we had her 1 night a weekend.. ridiuclous. and she is still a bad parent for the very little parenting she has to even bother with.. and my angel niece trys SO hard to get her to love her or just some positive attention it makes me want to puke
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Meooma, agreed for a day or a night put, but not constantly like a caregiver, then get mad if they don't feel like it or have plans.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• agreed..completely!! they get free babysitting services, and catering and housecleaning sometimes, too..then complain about how its done.
    i'm sorry, but if i'm good enough to babysit someone's kid, without charging AND i fold some laundry, too..i better be getting a big ol' kiss on my behind, instead of griping and complaining about what i fed the kid or that i took them to the store with me..or it ain't happening again.
    i might add, the g-parents that complain about HAVING to babysit their grandkids aren't any better. i mean, all you have to do is say, 'No.'
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Agreed- I would be happy if my kids just had grandparents, all aren't that lucky.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have no idea why some people expect that. The problem we have with one set of the grandparents is that they only want anything to do with our kids when it suits them. THis is usually when they can show them off and imply that DH and I are somehow out of the picture or that we fob our kids off on them all the time.

As for paying grandma for regular childcare, I see no problem. Within reason that is. I knew of a grandma who charged her daughter more than a daycare center and grandma didn't even want to babysit. Just goes to show there are all kinds of situations out there.
    Anonymous