Birth control question

So my Dr isn't much help right now since i am pregnant and she keeps telling me you can research BC after you give birth so i am wondering what other moms take and what works best for them when 2nd DD is born 1st dd will be 13 months and we want to wait at least two to three years for our next baby any ideas (husband is iffy on IUD because his friends and family have scared him saying i will become infertile......yeah i know i love them too)

krissii

Asked by krissii at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• Most birth controls can make you infertile. Really check into them. There is a chance. Most of them are hormone based, which tells your body to do something is isn't meant to do. It confuses the brain and takes a while to function properly after quitting. Some women can quit and the next month they are pregnant, but look around at how many women have been on a hormonal birth control and trying to conceive for a while. Some may be better than others, but all have their own risks involved.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Will you be breastfeeding? If so, that eliminates hormonal methods such as the pill (minipill is OK), Nuvaring and the Patch. Paraguard IUD is safe, and the risk of infertility is very small.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Well let me tell you that IUD did NOT make me infertile. In fact I got pregnant this time while using Mirena (the most common IUD). I have the same issue as you, my daughter will only be 14 months when the next baby is born. We were using Mirena because we wanted to wait a few years, it just didn't work for us.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• IUDs will NOT make you infertile. In fact, we conceived DS the first cycle after mine was removed. They USED to be dangerous (in fact, my aunt had to have a hysterectomy because of hers), but those were taken off the market, and they've VASTLY improved over the years. I never had any trouble with milk supply with mine, either. Any birth control method has its risks. However, IUDs are THE most effective form of birth control on the market, and they're the most common form of birth control among health care providers.  Go to the site for Mirena and Paragard to get info for your DH to give him accurate info.  Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You should tell him that a kick in the goods could make him infertile too! I use Mirena and love it! It stops your period which is why I love it bc they used to last for 9 months. NO FUN!!!! Your doctor should give u advice, thats their job, but you should also look online too just to see what fits your needs!
    krisnroc

Answer by krisnroc at 4:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011