Does anyone have info on VBAC?

I keep asking at my doc. appointments if I am an eligible candidate for a VBAC and I just keep hearing they will talk about it @ your next appointment...I get that I am only 14 weeks, but this is something that my DH and I are very concerned about. This was the first thing both of us thought of when we found out that I was pregnant again. I just can't seem to get a straight answer. I really want to know if I am eligible or not so that I can prepare myself mentally if I do need to have another C-section.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 4:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• That's just a guideline, it's not a "make or break" rule. I've heard there are studies that show that you're as healed as you're going to be after a few months, and there are several moms in the VBAC group who have had successful VBACs less than 18 months after their C-section. If you really want a VBAC, I wouldn't let that alone stop you. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• VBAC.com has a lot of good info.

Also check out the ICAN website.

And there's a VBAC Group here on CafeMom.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I was about 7 months pregnant with my second before I had "The Discussion" about whether I could have a VBAC or not. Until hat point I just planned like I was going to have one, because that's what I wanted. At that appointment I finally found out that my son was an emergency C-section (they never told me at his birth). At that appointment I was given about a 50/50 chance of successful VBAC. My husband and I decided that was not good enough odds for us and scheduled the C-section. Good thing too. My son's head was just too big, and I was just too small for him to fit through me. My daughter was a few ounces lighter, less than an inch shorter and had the same head circumference at birth as her brother.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thanks for the website info! I had a feeling I would not be able to have a VBAC but @ my first appointment I was given some false hope as she just immediately started talking about when I go into labor, ect. even though she had my file right in front of her, and I asked are you sure I can do a VBAC. She told me yes even though she shouldn't have...according to the website you are eligible if you will be giving birth at least 18 months after having a C-section (which is not the case for me, it will only be 14 months).
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011