How do you deal with a picky eater?

My 4 yr old only eats pb&j, chicken nuggets, etc. The rest of us eat fruits and vegetables but he won't touch them. I've tried the "he'll eat it when he gets hungry enough" but he didn't eat for almost 2 days. I just hate to see him go without eating.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to have the same problem with my 4 year old son. I was extremely concerned, but after a couple trips to our Pediatrician I let it go. My Pediatrician said "he's not dumb he knows when he's hungry and when he gets hungry, he'll eat."
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I look at it this way, it is my job to offer him food, it is his job to decide if he wants to eat it. I try to offer one thing I know he likes in a small quantity, if he wants any more of it he has to eat his other foods first.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my oldest was like that and we just made a big deal about how healthy it was and how her body needed it to grow. She couldn't stand it when we said that her little sister would grow bigger and be stronger then her.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my daughter doesnt always eat eather but i have some shakes that replace anything she dont eat she not a fussy eater cuz she eats almost anything but shes just goes through times where she doesnt want to eat. an then some days she eats all dang day lol its so funny. but was very stressful at the beinning
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 8:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thanx for all your advice! I have been trying to not to make it a big deal. I don't want food to be an issue for him. I do tell him that in order for him to get as big as daddy (he wants to be just like daddy), he needs to eat fruit and veggies. He doesn't seem to care. The doctor is not concerned and he said not to be concerned unless it disturbs his growth. So I guess he'll be ok.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011