How do i get my husband to accept that our son has adhd?

I really do think my son has adhd.... he's not hyper, but he definitely has the inattentiveness and distractability issue... it is so clear to me. We have him on supplements to try to help him, but I want to get him more help, but when i tell this to my husband he gets all defensive and says there's nothing wrong with him. I really think he needs help and so do we! How can I get my husband to understand. I feel like we're punishing him for things he can't control.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Get your pediatrician on your side. Perhaps a teacher, too, if he's in school. Men will often listen to professionals when they won't listen to their wives.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If he is not hyper but has the inattentiveness and impulse issues then that sounds like ADD. Sometimes, with ADD, it is harder to get people to realize that there is a problem because they are not hyper like an ADHD child. My husband went through this as a child. He was called lazy and not using his full potential by teachers because at the time the label of ADD was very rare. May I ask, how old your child is? Is he is school yet? What does his teacher say about his school work?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It took my son's father a while to accept that our son had problems (ADHD, behavior issues). I finally managed to get Evan an appointment with the developmental pediatrician and just the fact that his doctor referred him helped his dad to see there might be a problem.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Also, here is a great resource- http://www.chadd.org/. This may give you some ideas on how to help your child cope with this disorder.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree with Jeremys mom. I have ADD and was not diagnosed til 30 years old.ugh. I think its hard for men to accept things that could be "wrong" with their children, especially boys. I have already run in to that with our 3-1/2 year old who was diagnosed with anxiety, which shouldn't have been a shock since we all have it on both sides but its hard for him to accept he might feel like we did growing up so he trys to over look things.. same with adhd, he has a 90% chance of having it and well, I see some pretty darn good signs lol!~ I don't have advice but sending you good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son is 9, he is so bright, creative and has a great imagination.... but he usually only gets c's or d's with the occ. b for grades... when we homeschooled for a year he did much better, i guess cause he had the one on one attention.... i would love to do it again, but neither my son nor my husband wants too...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011