How can i get my 8 month old to sleep threw the night

MichellesMommy3

Asked by MichellesMommy3 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remembering that sleeping though the night is technically a mere five hours... all YOU can do is keep baby's atmosphere conducive to sleep. Dark, quiet. Make wake ups a brisk, business like time... you do what needs to be done and put baby back to bed.

Dusk to dawn might not come for a long time. That is developmental and you can't rush that any more than you can rush walking or growing.

Check out Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution for some reassurance.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• through the night
    Anonymous

• consistency is key. put your baby to sleep at the same time every night. only go to her/him when they seem in distress. even if they seem a little fussy they need to work through it. this is not harmful like if they were all out crying. I also made sure it was dark and quiet for her as well.

as long as you know you fed them, changed their diaper, and they're not in any distress, let them be. eventually they'll fall asleep on their own. I went through this with my DD in the beginning. she now sleeps through the night for me, sometimes up to 7 or 8 hours a pop. I feel very lucky but know my firmness with her bedtime schedule paid off. it should for you too. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 5:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• being consistent is important like the above poster said. also i put a favorite toy that played music. and she would like talk to herself before she went to sleep. it worked like a charm. good luck. but they change their sleeping so much the first year. but i remember the 8hrs even going 5hours were alot. now mine goes 9:00 to 9 most days. but she is 2 so just hang in there and in time your little one will sleep through the night.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• what's the routine like at night? Hoe many times does he wake up? Do you put him back to sleep right after changing diaper or you feed him then put him to sleep? my son is 7 months and if he wakes up durng the night I would change his diaper and put him back to his crib and let him go back to sleep without feeding. Baby usually wake up at night b/c they have to pee pee and they will fall back asleep after. Not sure if you put him to sleep while he's awake or half asleep, but that def will help if you put them to sleep while awake
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011