Am I being Uptight??

So, my sister has the ring back tone on her phone, I am technology stupid so sorry if that's not right, but when you call her, you hear music. Well, her daughter is 11, at her school if the parents can't make the conferences, which she never bothers with, they can do a phone conference.. she is in activities / plays etc.. so often Mom needs to be reached.. her tones are "I kissed a girl, or eminem songs or rap.. all songs and music i love but.. don't you think its inappropriate for your phone your daughters teachers call?? or am I just old in my mind at 32? lol!~

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ah - see, I knew I didn't understand.

Then, yes, if she's got professional calls coming to her phone, she should be playing music that is more professionally accepted.

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Well I see it both ways. I mean her phone is her phone so she should have a right to put on it what she wants. BUT.....I would be a little embarrassed if my child's teacher heard it. So unless she really does like kissing girls, I would probably remove it.

Answer by stephensmom26 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I don't think it's appropriate for an adult to have music like that on their phone when they are expecting calls from school, work, ect. However, my DH stongly disagrees on this with me, and is always changing his ringback tones to obnoxious songs.

Answer by AngelicaDem at 4:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I don't like hearing music when I call in lieu of ringing. It does seem juvenile to me.

Answer by musicpisces at 4:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If I were calling someone for professional reasons and I was forced to listen to pop music while waiting for them to pick up, it would negatively affect my perception of the person. If the pop music were particularly offensive, it would have a stronger negative effect.

Answer by SWasson at 5:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It is quite trashy. I myself would stick to some rock and roll oldies or assign certain ringtones for certain numbers.

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think it is a bit inappropriate for a phone her daughter might call too. I have a ringback tone but it is Darius Ruckers' "It won't be like this for long", which is a song about how quickly children grow up (it is appropriate for a phone I use for work/babysitters/ect.) While I like Katie Perry and some eminem I would not have them as my ringback tones.

Answer by AF4life at 4:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have a number of rental properties and when I have to return a call and get a song like that, I just hang up. This does not present the tenants that are desirable.

• Let me see if I have this correct: she uses songs for her personal ring tones that you think shouldn't be associated with the numbers of professionals who are calling her? If I have this correct, I think you are being a little uptight. The teacher (or whoever) can't hear the ring-tone when they call your sister.

Now, having your phone make noise while you are in a professional setting - that's not good, regardless of what the music or tones are. If you are in a meeting, phones should be set to vibrate or silenced. You're priority is to be the meeting and that priority should be protected from outside distractions.

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• yeah i think thats a little unproffesional.

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011