• In the Spotlight:

How do I make good box brownies?

OK, I know this seems like a no brainer..."just follow the instructions". Well I bought 2 identical boxes of brownie mix, made them the exact same way (one right after the other, in the same size pan too) and they came out looking totally different! Why is this? Anyone have any pointers for me?

scaruso08

Asked by scaruso08 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• i always mix all the wet ingredeants togetther in another bowl and then add the mix.... and i always add a little vinella
    Anonymous

• don't over mix brownies! leave lumps in it. overmixing will make them tougher. you can do it if you like chewy brownies though :)

I also like to add just a little more oil than it calls for, maybe 1/4 tsp.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I always... always, add a package of chocolate chips in with the mix (maybe just a half bag). This is also for chewy brownies
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oh.. did you put one tray on top rack, one on bottom? that might be a reason they came our differently.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't know why the came out differently.. but I love making rocky road brownies. Just make brownies as directed and on top, while theyre hot, put mini marshmallows, walnuts or almonds, and chocolate sauce drizzled on top, yum.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• What was different? You said one right after the other, so my first thought would go to oven temp, which is why I asked what was different.

Box brownies are never chocolate-y flavored enough for me..they always seem to be more sweet than chocolate. When I do get them, I get Ghirardelli, which are better than most...and sometimes I add a few bittersweet chocolate chips to the mix before preparing. And did you know you can control the texture of them by the size of the eggs? The larger the eggs, the less fudgy the brownies will be. If you use extra large instead of large, they will be chewy, not so dense. Jumbo eggs will be even more cake-like.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm guessing that your oven doesn't heat evenly. Rotate pans while baking, even switch racks if needed.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• sam rack each time, so maybe it's my oven. I'm trying again though! We'll see how they turned out! Thank you all so much! :)
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2008