How concerned should I be that he broke his toe?

my almost 22month old son dropped a can of food on his foot yesterday. his nail is blue/black and all yesterday afternoon he was limbing and walking with his toe up/on the side of his foot. last night he woke up at about 11pm crying and when i said whats wrong he pointed to his toe. (i was cuddling him on the rocker and accidently bumped that foot against his brothers crib and he started crying) so i know it hurts him.. i know broken blood vessels hurt and he seems fine today should i call the doctor or just keep watching it?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it doesn't look like the toe itself is broken, but just severely bruised. i would ice it for as long as he can stand it and try to get him to elevate it if he will let you.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Awww I love baby feet they are sooo cute. My daughter same age did the same thing a few weeks ago. She's fine her toe nail just fell off.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 5:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• He will be fine. If it were broken, the whole toe would be black and blue and gross looking.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• he wont let me do either :/ but thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it if he is bothered by it again tonight
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would just watch it chances are it's not broke.... it would hurt if he bumps it again. have you given him any children's Motrin or something for pain or swelling? you may want to. but other than that I wouldn't worry more than likely it will remain bluish until the toe nail grows off on its own.

traren

Answer by traren at 5:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• he should be fine just in some pain from the bruising, it doesnt look broken
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2011