Is she ready?

Lately, my 21mo old DD has been taking off her diaper as soon as she wets it, and when it's dry. She's trying to used her potty training toilet. She had a BM, in, on and all around it. (She did this when DH and I weren't looking). I'm thinking she has the idea of what to do, but needs a little work on her aiming..lol..
What did you do to help you DD with her potty training? Is it time for her to wear pull-ups? If we don't have a onsie on her, she strips herself of her diaper and leaves it around the house, and puts back on her bottoms. Sometimes we don't even notice she took it off..lol..

Fantasystar

Asked by Fantasystar at 5:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• These are great signs! I would start using pull ups during the day & still diapers at night. From my experience night time takes much longer! With my DD i just kept encouraging her & used small verbal or other cues. I also tried gentle reminders every 20-30 min "let's try going potty" or something along those lines. Good luck :)
    confusedmomma67

Answer by confusedmomma67 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I don't think taking off the diaper is necessarily a sign that they are ready to potty train. Both of my kids started taking theirs off about 9 months and did it until we potty trained. But since she does seem to be showing some signs, I would start by just putting her in big girl underwear and taking her to sit on the potty every 20 minutes or so. You can use pull ups or regular diapers at night. I always found that wearing pull ups at night was less confusing for them.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011