Can anyone provide real examples of religious persecution in the United States?

Of course, I think there are some valid examples of some groups being persecuted, like the Muslims who are building a Mosque outside of Nashville, TN, and being threatened in other parts of our great nation.  Other groups, including Christians, do face persecution in other countries, too, however, there seems to be a belief (held by some, but certainly not all) that the "majority" is being persecuted here.  

I can't find any examples of Christians being persecuted by other groups in the U.S.  Am I missing something?  In addition to this rampant persecution of Christians (so bad, apparently, that there is even a journal on CM that compares this persecution in the U.S to Apartheid!), is there also a massive conspiracy to keep it all quiet?  How is something like that managed?  Who has the power in this country to pull off something like that? 

Who really believes that Christians are being persecuted?  Does expressing opinions, without any threat or even a hint of threat, really qualify as "persecution"?

Yes, yes, I know this subject has been beaten nearly to death, but not quite completely, considering some of the recent drama here.  If possible, please provide calm, reasoned answers, with links, if possible, so that we can tease out the areas in this country that subject the majority to such discrimination and persecution. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 5:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Are you asking about religious persecution or Christian persecution- your title says one thing-the body another-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Only on Cafe Mom

(and the thumbs down by the select group will show it)... but that just further proves my point, the same group that CafeMom has no intentions of doing anything about, that bully and harrass CM members over the tiniest reasons
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I guess I should have specifically said "Christian" persecution, since I have found examples of other groups--Muslims in particular, but also Atheists and other groups--who have faced real persecution by way of threats, violence and destruction of property.  I substituted "religious" for Christian in the title to avoid adding to the notion that Christians are being singled out here (which, I suppose at least some are) thus contributing to their feelings of persecution.  I am not, however, persecuting anyone, (just wanted to make sure that's very clear) but asking for examples of how and where Christians are facing persecution in this country.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• MommaClark, do "thumbs down" votes really qualify as persecution or harassment? Can you give specific examples of where Christians are being bullied and harassed? Do questions about beliefs count as harassment?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I do believe there is religious persecution, but I definitely believe that most of the time Christians are the ones causing it, not the ones on the receiving end - at least here in the US. Look at all the ladies just here on CM who have been abused or harassed because they're not Christians. I definitely think many Christians believe they can disrespect the beliefs of others and can refuse to offer the same kind of consideration to non-Christians that they would Christians. And downvoting those of us who point it out doesn't change that there *are* ladies *right here* who have had things thrown at them, or have had other things done or said to them just because they're not Christian. Perhaps instead of taking the time to be offended by my pointing out such un-Christlike acts carried out in the name of Christ, we should take the time to look at what causes people to act in a way that is so contradictory to him and his message..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I googled "Christian persecution" and found site after site listing examples- do I agree with them that its persecution- that is another question- but there are those that will cite examples of how they feel persecuted- I can not necessarily say how someone should feel about the events outlined on some of the websites-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• "and the thumbs down by the select group will show it"

The down vote is meant to allow us to monitor ourselves and to discourage rude, trolling behavior. And *most* of us use it for that purpose. The "group" people seem to be complaining about don't often downvote others. Funny, though, is the way you can tell there are Christians on here who downvote ANYTHING certain non-Christians (or "not Christian enough"s, in my case, lol) have to say, regardless of whether their/our statements are rude, inaccurate, or negative or not. The downvoting of any response that doesn't agree with "traditional orthodox fundamentalist" Christianity is ridiculous, and yet you don't see any of US complaining about it - it is probably the same Christians who use the downvote as a kind of weapon against certain opinions or people who cry about it. They are the ones who "harass" others, not the group of regulars who are so vital to this section.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• nope but the same group that has run many off CafeMom from this specific group by harrassing them because they... *gasp* say the word God or believe in one is proof enough... I even had them about 4-5 months ago stalking everywhere I posted to do the thumbs down thing, harrassing me, so yes... it is proof

When that same group follows you to harrass and bully it is proof...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Catholic Adoption agencies that have been forced to either go against their beliefs or shut down. They chose to shut down. But that really isn't persecution is it?
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• "Catholic Adoption agencies that have been forced to either go against their beliefs or shut down. They chose to shut down. But that really isn't persecution is it?"

Are you sure there isn't more to it than that? Like, if they're accepting federal money, they can't discriminate. If they're a private, financially sovereign entity, I don't believe they can (or should be) forced go "go against their beliefs". But if they're accepting federal money then they can either stop receiving the money or make the concessions to the gov't.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011