Did you look at your baby as soon as she was born??

I held my eyes closed and didn't look at her until after I heard her cry...I didn't want to see her until I knew she was okay.. I am not sure if this was a common experience that people have... Just wanted to hear other experiences :)

I had my eyes closed the whole time during the pushing.

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 5:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I watched each of my babies as they were born except for my last one. She was born via emergency C section at 23 weeks while I was unconscious & then life flighted to a major NICU facility about an hour away. I was in critical condition & spent the next week in the critical care unit so I didn't get to see her other than a picture until I was released. She was about a week & 1/2 when I saw her for the first time.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I watched my youngest being born (good thing too, she was born purple with black hair and I'm blond and very light skinned). My oldest, i didn't see her for gosh.. 2 hours.. because I didn't have my glasses with me
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My eldest son I was asked if I wanted the mirror and to look, and I just kept saying "NO"... and I had no intentions of looking (not my thing)... my 5 and 4 year olds' were by CSection so I couldn't see past the blue sheet, I saw them as they were placed in that clear tub thing (and crying)... Hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• As soon as they let me see DS. I had a c/s. With DD they cleaned her up first. (Vag. delivery)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I don't think I was paying attention until they plopped him on my belly. I was too busy crying and saying OWWWW!! Lol! I don't know if I will watch this time or not! I freaking out already and I still have another month to go!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had my eyes open. I just wanted to see him! I wanted to make sure he was okay!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Mine cried the second they came out, so I really couldn't tell you.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I had my eyes open, but there were some serious complications and the NICU team whisked him away before I even got a peek, and then I couldn't go to the NICU because of some of the drugs they had given me, and he couldn't come out of the NICU so I didn't see him for 24 hours! (except by video camera) But my other 4, yes I saw them as soon as they were born.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I actually watched my first be born with a mirror (I spent a long time pushing so it was good motivation to see that I was actually making progress!) And although I didn't have a mirror, I did see the others as soon as they were born- they were all basically delivered and laid on my belly/chest before the cord was cut, so I did get to see them right away! We chose not to find out the gender beforehand so I had dh telling me boy or girl when they were handing them to me- it was such an amazing moment!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I giggled at the fact of you not having your glasses with you :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011