TMI on breastfeeding adult content

i breastfeed my daughter but pumped more then haven her latch cuz it wasnt worken out. i pumped for a couple months. I want to completly breastfeed with this one but am afaird we will have the same problems. i have bigger cheast then normal an i think that made it harder for her to latch on. At the hospital they were giving her bottles too an i had a nipple sheald cuz she was blistering then up an they ended up creacking an bleeding. Am just not so sure what to do i want the best or him or her. but i also dont want to hurt like that again. do u guys have any pointers.

BOOKER123ABC

Asked by BOOKER123ABC at 7:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every child is different. my first had a horrible time breastfeeding but my 3rd is almost 10 months old and is still breastfed.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh i hope so am getting so close to my due date an get very very nerous out it an i have another kid an getting worried about her an her feelings omg i feel so over welmed.
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• every child is different, but if your baby has problems latching on then the pumping your milk is just as good. i used the pump with my last 2, i had issues with latching also, beside pumping was better in a way since great grandma was able to feed my babes as well.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Tell the hospital not to let any bottles come anywhere near your baby. Have a nipple shield ready for use from the get-go. Pinch your nipple and put it in your baby's mouth yourself. Try different positions. If you stick with it, it will probably work. Pre-bottles, very few babies starved to death from latch problems.
    Also, if there is a problem, ask the pedi if the baby might be tongue-tied. And again, no bottles or paci at all. Nothing in the baby's mouth except your breast.
    CDMelty

Answer by CDMelty at 7:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• k thanks iw ill try this when the baby comes an tell ya how it works out thanks again
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'm very large chested as well, but as long as I hold myself right (kind of pinching down a little bit close to my areola so it is "thinner" for her to be able to latch) it has worked for me. Also, if you are engorged it makes it harder for them to latch on and pumping a little first can help. DEFINITELY talk to the lactation consultant while you are in the hospital. They can watch you nurse and show you some tricks that might make it easier for you. It could be that at the hospital your baby was not as interested in you because you were only putting out a little bit of colostrum, but when your milk comes in and she/he sees that he gets a lot to eat, it seems to go smoother for me. Just remember it takes a little time for you AND your baby to learn how to nurse well as a little team, so don't throw in the towel too quickly.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i agree with pp....every child is different. i ebf all 3 of mine and some took longer to catch on than others lol. also, the lactation consultant will be able to show you several positions that are great for moms with bigger breasts. the two i can think of off the top of my head are side by side and football hold. gl....don't go into it pessimistically. just think of it as starting fresh and have an optimistic view!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My second experience with breastfeeding was the total opposite than the first. Good luck!
    mommy2mykidz

Answer by mommy2mykidz at 8:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• again thanks to all hope this all will help thanks again
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh, and I have never been good at holding while feeding. What I do is sit cross legged and put a pillow on my lap. Then I have both hands free to hold my boob and support my baby's back.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011