My kids are in a new phase: can't sit down still at the dinner table. any suggestions??

they would sit down and eat before, no problem. now it's sit down, take a bite, get up and do something, i tell them to sit down, they sit down and take another bite and the process repeats. any suggestions? besides telling them a million times to sit down lol (i do that and it's driving me nuts). i feel bad about taking away dessert since they are eating, and it doesn't make a difference anyway. thanks ladies. o and it's the two older ones....the youngest is still in a highchair, but seeing them up and about makes her antsy too and sometimes she doesn't eat as good.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Once they get up, mealtime is over and they can wait until the next meal or snack. Let them know in advance, and then they deal with the consequences of their behavior. They won't starve and they will learn real quick to stay seated until they are finished.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Try to have dinner on the floor. I know it sounds silly but my daughter is 21 months old and will sit on the floor to eat with no problem but she is a busy body in a chair or stool. IT can be fun for them...so try changing it up
    shygirl.sk

Answer by shygirl.sk at 9:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• maybe they are not that hungry, take a look at how many snacks they are having and when. if there's a snack two hours before dinner try taking that one out or making it smaller.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• well, they get breakfast, then lunch, a small snack (like a piece of cheese), then dinner and a small snack (like cheesits or something like that|) before bed. i think they are hungry...they always end up eating it all. it's just that they won't sit still that is driving me insane lol.
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Have you tried pouring some vodka? For you, I mean? LOL This is a phase. I have a friend who actually takes away the chair if they get up then they have to stand...but that's not my style. I choose to have battle-free meals.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011