Would you tell him?

My baby boy turns four tomorrow but his party is on friday should i tell him it's his birthday when he has nothing tommorw? I can't afford balloons and cake both days? When he has no concept of time and can't understand were having your party in a few days should i just keep my mouth shut and save the birthday wishes for friday?

Codragonfly

Asked by Codragonfly at 9:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just wait. He won't know the difference and if you tell him, he will expect presents, cake, ice cream, etc.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i think you can let him know that its his birthday but your going to celebrate it on a different day. i have a 4 year old nephew and he doesn't care when the party is he just gets excited for that and doesn't care that he doesn't get stuff on his supposed birthday. or you can just pretend the party day is his birthday, we did that when he was younger.
    sarah8910

Answer by sarah8910 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• YES... dollar store sells balloons cheap, store sells cake mix (make cupcakes), and maybe a movie in... than his party later

we've always celebrated our kids, reminded them they are loved, and they are worth anything and everything
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Don't think there is a wrong answer for this, but I would tell my kids. I'd just say, "Today's your birthday! The party is on Friday!" He's four - he doesn't actually have a lot in terms of expectations yet. You will set those up right now.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I also told my kids it was their birthday on their birthday, I don't think they've ever had a party fall on their actual birthdays and none of them ever had any issue with waiting a few more days to get presents, cake and a party.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would do *something* for him tomorrow so that he knows it is his special day...even a special breakfast! Then tell him his party is in a couple of days.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No. Don't confuse him. Just do it all at one time

Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Do something small for him, something that makes him feel special.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Id tell him. You can celebrate without spending a penny! You can fix him his favorite breakfast/lunch/dinner. or make pancakes & put a candle in it to blow out... (anything that will hold a candle-- use it lol!)...
    You can play silly games around the house. or make him a homemade bday hat to wear around that day..
    Play his favorite game. Read his favorite book. ... Go to library & pick out some birthday books or what-not & read them to him... You can rent movies for free at the library too!

My MIL has a (i think its so sweet!) tradition of telling her kids their bday story on their bday. Even now at 27yo she will call dh that day to wish him a happy bday & tell him the story .. (AWWWW!)
    I read today another tradition is: After your kid goes to bed- decorate their bedroom door like a present.
    Look up other "birthday traditions" that maybe u could start with ur family!:) traditions last longer than any present/cake!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Do something small like maybe bake a cake together for his bday but dont confuss him let him know its his bday!!! & that on another day yall will give him a party
    Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 1:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2011