Low-income area PTO fundraiser ideas?

I asked this a couple of days ago in Back-To-School...trying for a wider audience...!

I am on the PTO this year at my son's school, and we are brainstorming for new PTO fundraiser ideas. This is my second year at the school, so I know last year we had the following, some were more successful than others:

Mr. Z's
Affy Tapples
Smencils
Y-Ties
Fannie May
Cookbooks
Jack Link's

We are in a low-income district, so we really can't do anything too expensive and expect great results. We also have very few parent volunteers, so that has to be taken into consideration, too.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you :)

beckie66

Asked by beckie66 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our school does a Scholastic Book Fair twice a year, Box Tops, and a carnival as fundraisers.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't really have any experience with this but I found a page with a whole bunch of ideas: http://www.easy-fundraising-ideas.com/programs/elementary-school-fundraisers/
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 9:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son has always been at Title One schools, so I can sympathize with you. We try to think out of the box when doing our fundraisers, and we have pretty good success.

One thing we did that worked really well was we had a garage sale at our school. We sold spaces in the parking lot, but you could just use chalk and mark out spaces in the hallway of the school outside, or whatever. We charged $15 per space. We sold drinks and hot dogs during the event too, and that brought in more money. The community really came out for our garage sale, and we raised a few thousand. It was very easy to organize, we sold spaces in advance. if you have to hold it outdoors, you have to consider the weather.

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son's school only has one fundraiser a year. They host a carnival where the classrooms are turned into various activities- cake walk, putt putt, face painting, animal balloons, etc. They also have bounce houses, slides, and they sell lunch ( a slice of pizza, bottled water, and a little debbie for $3). There is also bingo with prizes. The admission is $15 for a bracelet which gets you everything plus 3 bingo cards (each bingo card is an extra $2). Or you could buy tickets and pay for each thing by the ticket cost. Additional family members or students are at a reduced price. For example, 2 bracelts for $25 or 3 for $35. The maximum charge for a family is the $35 (meaning if they had 4 kids then they would get four bracelets for $35 and so on). I think this is much better than trying to sell things and people are more willing to spend their money on these types of events.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... I for the first time dealt with a school that had forced volunteering, and still managed to be cut out of my son's life at every turn, so I can't say I couldn't imagine not being in my son's life...However, we pulled him, transfered, and crossing fingers his new school will allow us to be more active in his life!

I was in the Parent thing, paid my dues, and fundraisers is what the old school seemed to only be good at! Local businesses do coupon type deals with places like (800) 594-3775 (he does the foot work and schools sell them for $2-$3 a coupon sheet)... many companies are designed towards fundraising including the coupon books, cookbooks, you name it... they even did cookie dough (eewwww) and butterbraids sells... eldest son's school did candybars
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh and the carnival and fireworks stand they do every year
    MommaClark3

• http://www.boxtops4education.com/earn/clip/projects.axpx has print outs and you can make it a class to class contest to collect too
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Also, we have done parent's night out where you get parents to pay in advance for babysitting, get the kids together in the gym, show a movie and serve them some pizza. We get our pizza donated by a local place, so that really helps us out a whole lot. This is most successful if you do it right around christmas, when parents are trying to shop and need time, also valentine's day, and if you offer four hours for $15, which is a really good rate! You can also work with a local sorority or fraternity that needs volunteer hours to help staff it, or get some teachers from the PTO to help out.

For this event, we didn't take any children who had any disciplinary action taken by the school in the past month. That's just the way it is where I lived...

good luck!!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Monte Carlo Night for the parents... I skipped that one all together this year
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• The Barnes and Noble allowed on one night that a certain percentage of sales goes back to the school, and various other businesses if you mention the school... helps local business and fundraising for school
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2011